Sign in to follow this  
arno

FS Landclass and Mesh documentation by Joachim

Hi all,Have you always wanted to know everything there is to know about the FS land/water class and mesh display system? On the other hand, did you always feel stupid about learning a lot about FS, which has no relevance to your "real" life?Well, now you have the chance to learn something valuable - a foreign language - and a lot about FS at the same time ;-)Joachim Buhre recently uploaded his FS documentation and its 502 pages (!!!) are available in German only: http://www.jobia.de/ There's a PDF version and a HTML version (the latter will be removed from his server shortly). Also, the website contains test scenery and his patch files for the lclookup table and blending mask files.What sets this amazing piece of work apart from the widely scattered information available elsewhere is that it's all first-hand knowledge based on extensive, fully documented testing. I highly recommend having a look at Joachim's document, even if you have to work your way through the pages with a Babelfish. Besides, some of the graphs and tables should be self-explanatory.Big thank-you to Joachim for sharing this with the community!Cheers, Holger

That for the link Holger, this is interesting stuff.I guess it is time to practise my German a bit again :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi all,I am a newbie scenery designer from Azerbaijan (UBxx) currently working on a small yet perspective project expected to cover the whole territory of this amazing Caucasian country including both its scenery and major civil airports. If everything goes in line with my expectations, my aim is to develop and to share free but quality scenery packages with all fans of Flight Simulator to insure that Azerbaijan, with almost all (8 out of 11) known climatic zones represented in the country, becomes one of the attractive and regular simming spots along with other scenery add-ons available in the "market".Given the growing number of FS scenery designers and that the English has become a second (or even third!) native language for most of us thanks to our daily sessions at AVSIM forums ;), I have decided to make a small contribution to our community by translating Joachim's awesome document to English so that everyone (including me) could get his (or hers!) own piece of knowledge on scenery components used in FS and to further ease the learning curve. What made me come to this conclusion was a fact that apart from FS I also work as a freelance translator for one of the local companies providing large-scale translation and interpretation services all over the country and this makes me indeed privileged to tackle with such a big but still attractive challenge. A challenge - because I usually provide a hands-on assistance in the translation of technical, financial, and legal stuff from English to Azerbaijani and Russian and vice versa. But as Holger mentioned, now I "have the chance to learn something valuable - a foreign language - and a lot about FS at the same time". Plus my experience as a translator would be helpful...So, keeping short, I would like to know to what extent you're interested in the translation of this piece of work into English? Also, if somebody has already started translating it, I would be happy to provide any support I can afford to facilitate the progress of work. Any support from you, guys, will also be highly appreciated. If your answer is positive, I would immediately put my hands on it and hopefully, release one part/section of the doc each week.So, see you next week then? :)Regards,Rustam Alhas

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Hi Rustam.I would be very interested! But don't expect a lot of response... there are only a handful of people interested in this important information. Sad, but true. :(Dick

Hello Rustam,Thank you very much, this would be a wonderful contribution to our hobby.Best regards.Luis

Guest kayann

A translation would be great. Information of this nature is hard to come by and would undoubtably of great benefit to the community.

A translated version may attract more to this area of the hobby. The arcane nature of the scenery end of FSX will become less daunting when it is explained in a single cohesive document. As Holger said, much of the info is already on forums and the SDKs but it is in pieces and causes the same questions over and over. Thanks in advance.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I would really really appreciate a translation. I tried running this through every possible free site I could find, including reformating into DOC, html, etc, and none of them would translate it for some reason. I just got error messages.scott s..

Hi,Thank you all for your interest in and support to the translation of Joachim's excellent piece of work. As promised, I started translating it immediately after getting your positive feedback on this "project" and hopefully, will complete the first part on Landclasses by the end of this week. But I got other works to do also, so I cannot tell you exactly when the whole work will be completed.I would like also to thank Tom G, Sr. for his readiness to provide support during the translation. Highly appreciated!Well, enough for today... I gotta go back and continue with the translation :)Regards,Rustam Alhas

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Guest cwright

Rustam, thank you very much indeed. I look forward to reading it!Best regards, Chris