Sign in to follow this  

A story of love, passion, and FPS

Guest Milio_B

Except there's no love and passion in this story...My system is a P4 1,5 256 RAM GF2 TiWhen I first got FS2002 I got 20+ FPS in Meigs (spot), all sliders maxed but no clouds at all...Then, I installed all those goodies that claim to give betetr FPS...Cacheman, that can free some RAM and avoid Windows to laod useless data on it. I started Cacheman before starting FS and I used to free up to 100 MB of RAM so I could have 200 MB free for FS. This "would" improve performance. Needless to say I carefully turned off all other programs in msconfig, such as Antivirus, Firewall and stuff before restarting the comp to run FSI got Norton Uitilities that optimized my HD...I set the virtual memory to 512-512 as I read on the some forum...And the result, I got about 20 FPS with POSKY's a/c on the ground on a not crowded airport. Which means KLAX or KLAX gave me 15 FPS or so..in takeoff maybe less... and I had all sliders in "Very Dense", Mesh in 60, Water in "Reflections" Clouds in 20...texture quality in High....so I was missing "some" eye candy...Yesterday I tried the Meigs default with all sliders maxed, and I got 14 FPS! I usually got 20, so thre must have been something wrong with the system/FS...But then to try a plane, I run FS while running all anitivirus and stuff, and without freeing any RAM with Cacheman... And I got 20+ FPS again, in act I got 22 or so with Heavy Clouds, which clearly meant that freeing up RAM was the real problem...So the lesson after this story (for me) is, Don't free up Too much RAM!!!!!!!! I think I might have been losing important data that made performance go down...And also, the rest of the things I did seemed to work, Norton Utilities works fine and Cacheman (if not used to free RAM IMO) does too...Well, that's my own FPS story, if you wanna try, go ahead and tell me if I did soemthign for you today :(

All of those ramboosters create "fake" memory by commandeering aportion of your diskspace. They access that diskspace when needed, Resulting in slower operation of any program. Its main purpse is to allow big packages to operate that otherwise would not if you didn't have enough memory.BTW even the best system available today cannot handle FS with all the sliders maxed out. Let alone including hi res models like the POSKY planes.Pete

Do yourself a favor and upgrade your processor. Especially if you are driving a 423 pin p4 model. I went from 1.4 to 1.9 gig, and saw measurable improvement in fluidity and frames (though I know this only because my system now is pretty much always at the 24 fps set in the hardware settings, and very rarely drops below it). Also, Intel no longer makes the 423 pin p4 - so the fast ones are as scarce as hen's teeth, and scarcer by the day.