Sign in to follow this  
arno

FSX coloring beyond textures lost?

Gentlemen,I spent some amount of time learning GMAX and completing a couple of projects with it so to avoid loosing backward compatibility with FSX.I now have FSX and have properly installed the two airports in question. Most is well. Objects that I colored rather than textured with GMAX are black. I assumed that this was a new reality and reopened one of these objects and applied a texture to it. It is still black in FSX.Does anyone have a handle on this yet?The Adventure Continues,Mike Eppright (KICT)

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Hi Mike.The materials in FSX are different than in FS9. Some changes, like using colors, rather than textures, are not backwardly compatible. Some animation elements have also changed.The good news is that we expect a new gmax plugin within days at the new FSInsider site. I'm sure there will be a notice here ( and everywhere ) when it is available.When you get the new FSX Gmax plugin, you WILL be able to use colors in your scenery and aircraft models.Dick

Thanks, Dick. This is why I stay plugged in here. The light at the end of the tunnel isn't a freight train!Take care,Mike

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Dick -- how sure are you of 'within days'? I'm in the process of replacing all my shiny (via specular highlights) materials with flat textures, but if the new GMAX exporter is that close I'd rather wait.

Hi Robin,It was mentioned by Adrian Woods over at the FsDeveloper forums and also mentioned on some of their blogs. I we are really expecting the release soon :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog