Sign in to follow this  
Guest Loke

Removing specific Autogen in the "default.xml" file

Guest tmilton

Matt Fox has available a replacement default.xml file in which he edited out and removed certain autogen buildings, like certain restaurants, gas stations, water towers, etc.http://www.fox-fam.com/wordpress/?page_id=41This is his file:http://www.fox-fam.com/FSX/reduced_default_xml_alt.zipI downloaded it and replaced my default.xml file with his in the Autogen folder. I found a good increase in FPS after installing his new file. Of course some autogen structures are no longer there, but I honestly don't miss them and would rather have the higher FPS.I would like to know how to edit the default.xml file myself and remove additionally some other structures that I don't find necessary (like malls, more water towers, etc) so I may try to improve the FPS further, but keep the structures I like. How would I do this, and how would I identify or know specifically which structures I would be removing? I'm new to the "under the hood" scenery tweaking part of FSX, and would appreciate any help you can offer. :)

Hi,You can edit that XML file with any text editor, it is an ASCII file. So for example notepad could be used for it.All the objects in there have a name as well, and although the name might be a little crypical sometimes, it should give you a good idea of the kind of object it is.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Loke

Off-topic regarding XML files but...I`ve made a lot of bridges for FS9 which works well with FSX. Wanting to remove autogen bridges in Norway ASAP I read a little about FSX structure in the Terrain SDK, then took a guess regarding the bridges. I navigated to the WorldScenery0601Scenery folder thx to the SDK, and found some BRX.....bgl files. Looks like BRX definately is bridges, and the numbers are almost like before, like 949110.bgl for FS9 is approx the same area for FSX, but the number is slightly different, one niner omitted. So I removed the BRX49110.bgl from the FSX scenery folder and the autogen bridges were gone.PS: My bridges can be seen here: http://www.athomsen.org/flightsim/fs9/proj...rojectsfs9.htmlCheers,A.Thomsen

Guest tmilton

Good to see your guess was correct. Nice work by the way.

>So I removed the>BRX49110.bgl from the FSX scenery folder and the autogen>bridges were gone.Although this will certainly work, would it not be nicer to write an exclude BGL? That way users don't have to remove default scenery files, while you should still be able to get rid of the default bridges :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Loke

It depends on how ugly those autogen bridges are. If they have a little resemblance to reality, I`ll write excludes, leaving good looking autogen bridges as they are. What I did was just a hasty removal in order to get started with my own bridges, adjusting them to FSX. For uploads I will make excludes of course. Also excluding a lot of bridges where in reality there is a tunnel :-smile12