Sign in to follow this  
FaxCap

.BGL Files Utility ?

Hello,Not sure if this is the right forum. I need some direction.Is there a Utility to detect duplicate or conflicting .bgl files ? I'm 'flaming out' (read=crashing) when climbing out of KSEA in both default or add-on aircraft. The sim also 'crashed' while I was enroute Portland to Vancouver 6500'MSL when I was over the Seattle area. No new scenery installed recently; one add-on aircraft.I'm trying to check out whether the problem is scenery-related, thus the search for errant.bgl files.Thanks

Hi,No, I have never seen such a tool. But do you get a message dialog when FS crashes? If so, which DLL file does it list as the one that crashed? This usually gives an indication if it is scenery or something else that causes the crash.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

>Hi,>>No, I have never seen such a tool. But do you get a message>dialog when FS crashes? No message dialog, just a request to send a multitude of files to Microsoft. Hard to understand, and therefore not helpful.Thanks

Guest robystar

Hi,There is a "scan BGL" utility in the AFCAD program.I do not know if that is what you mean.Roby

>Hi,>>There is a "scan BGL" utility in the AFCAD program.>I do not know if that is what you mean.>>RobyHi Roby,FS9 crashes when loading terrain files in the Seattle area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand crashing in the 50-60% loading range is related to a BGL file conflict. I can't tell from the Microsoft error message what file(s) are involved. I had hoped there might be a way of identifying them. My last add on scenery in a very long time was the Montauk airport on Long Island, a long way from Seattle. I deleted it but the problem still exists. What more can I do ?Would thatAFCAD utility help I appreciate your taking the time to respond.John

Guest robystar

Hi John,I do not know if the AFCAD utility will find the problem, but it scans your bgl's for problems. If there are conflicting bgl's it may not say so, I do not know. Just try it. You have AFCAD, don't you?If not, you can find it on AVSIM. There is also a scanafd.zip that might help.If nothing helps, try unchecking some sceneries in the scenery library.Roby

>Hi John,>>I do not know if the AFCAD utility will find the problem, but>it scans your bgl's for problems. If there are conflicting>bgl's it may not say so, I do not know. Just try it. You have>AFCAD, don't you?>If not, you can find it on AVSIM. There is also a scanafd.zip>that might help.>If nothing helps, try unchecking some sceneries in the scenery>library.>>RobyHi Roby,No, I don't use AFCAD. A 'search' for AFCAD in the library came up with a myriad of choices. Is there one specific file I should be lookingfor ?I did d/l scanfad.zip. I'll give that a shot.Thanks,John

>Hi Roby,>>No, I don't use AFCAD. A 'search' for AFCAD in the library>came up with a myriad of choices. Is there one specific file I>should be looking>for ?>>I did d/l scanfad.zip. I'll give that a shot.>>Thanks,>>JohnUpdate.....Roby, I found the AFCAD221 master file ,a file for KSEA AFCAD, and a manual for AFCAD on FlightSim which I will take the time to read. John

Guest robystar

Hi,The utility you need is AFCAD221.zip if you use FS9 and AFCAD140.zip if you use FS8. Can't find the program on AVSIM but you can find it on flightsim.com.AFCAD is, just like TTools and UIPC, more or less a must for FS.A whole new world of possibilities will open up for you.Good luck,Roby

Guest robystar

Hi John,Just to mention some more possibilites.You would find the seatlle KSEA afd file in the scenerydb/afdfiles/scenery/usnwafd.bgl. Check if usnwafd.bgl has been modified. If so, it might help to replace it by the usnwafd.original file.Other possibilty: you have added some mesh or landclass to the area and it conflicts with the original scenery or it has been put in the wrong layer.If I come up with something else, I will let you know.RobyPS in FS9 it might be a little different, but I think not. I am still working with FS8

Thanks.Turns out this might be a bigger problem than just KSEA .I can open KSEA, but get the CTD as I fly default runway heading. The CTD happens as I approach the city or close to KBFI. Trying to open at KFBI (Boeing), KPAE, or CYVR (Vancouver) all result in a CTD. On a flight from Victoria, BC to Vancouver BC, ATC directed me to a left downwind Rwy 26, cleared to land. Turning base produced another CTD.Interstingly enough I could land OK using Rwy 8R at CYVR. Really strange.There's something wrong in that NW area. I've not added any scenery or texture files in the past year. Back to the drawing board. Thanks again and have a good day.John

Guest robystar

Hi again,The US airports you mention are all in the USNWAFD.BGL except for the CYVR. If something in wrong in the first then it might influence the canwafd.bgl.Have you checked in AFCAD yet whether the usnwafd.bgl has been modified (if it states MOD in the AFCAD catalog, it has been).If that is the case, as explained before, go to your scenerydb/afdfiles/scenery/usnwafd.bgl and replace it with the original.Roby

>Hi again,>>Have you checked in AFCAD yet whether the usnwafd.bgl has been>modified (if it states MOD in the AFCAD catalog, it has>been).>If that is the case, as explained before, go to your>scenerydb/afdfiles/scenery/usnwafd.bgl and replace it with the>original.>>RobyOK, I need more direction. I opened the AFCAD.exe file Where do I go to find that usnwafd.bgl file ?

Guest robystar

Hi John,I think I will ask a friend to help you out with it. My version on FS8 is 1.4 and the afcad 221 does not work on my FS8.If you open the "file" you will find, at least in the 1.4 version:scan_BGL for problems.Then you would restore it to the ORIGINAL USNWAFD and maybe things would be solved.I will keep checking this thread and hope my FS9 friend (Jos