Sign in to follow this  
FaxCap

.BGL Files Utility ?

Guest robystar

Hi John, My Ostend(EBOS) friend tells me you should try to disable crash detection. Might that be the solution?Maybe not, but try it anyway, it can't hurt.Roby

>Hi John,>>I think I will ask a friend to help you out with it. My>version on FS8 is 1.4 and the afcad 221 does not work on my>FS8.>If you open the "file" you will find, at least in the 1.4>version:>scan_BGL for problems.>Then you would restore it to the ORIGINAL USNWAFD and maybe>things would be solved.>I will keep checking this thread and hope my FS9 friend (Jos

Hi there,you mention that the crashes occur in the 40-60% range? That indicates a missing or faulty ground texture file, either in SceneryWorldtexture, where the default textures reside, or in a texture subfolder of a specific add-on.To the best of my knowledge, any problems with AFCAD files result in crashes at very low loading ranges, usually before the bar even starts to show.Finding missing or faulty textures is tricky. Usually, the first check is for different seasons and times of day. Are the crashes restricted to a specific season? Do they only occur in daylight, etc.? The idea is to hone in on specific types of ground textures. Another "quick check" is to rename the texture folder in SceneryWorld to texture.prev and load the original folder from your Disk 4. If the crashes disappear then you could try copying the contents of the original folder into texture.prev without overwriting anything (i.e., replacing missing files). Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,I think you've hit on something. The faulty file appears to be in the Fall season, during daytime.The crashes occur in that one geographical area which includes KSEA, KBFI, KPAE, and CYVR. I can open and take off from the default KSEA but it crashes as I approach KBFI. The other airports I mentioned crash while loading.But, there were no crashes in Fall season at night.Neither were there any problems during daytime in the Summer. I didn't test Winter or Spring, yet.How would you suggest I proceed ?Thanks,John

Hi John,either load in the default SceneryWorldtexture folder as described above or temporarily deactivate all add-on scenery for the larger region. Both approaches will tell you whether the issue is with texture files in SceneryWorldtexture of with texture files in an add-on. If it's an add-on then you'll have to re-activate them individually to find out which one casues problems.If it's in SceneryWorldtexture then proceed as I suggested in my previous post.Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,I reloaded the World Scenery texture folder from Disk 4, as you suggested, but no help. So, it must be an add-on causing the problem. I haven't added any dedicated scenery files in awhile so I wouldn't know where to start. Rather than attempt the odious task of deactivating/reactivating these files, I'd rather live with the Fall/daytime problem until the Winter season arrives. :-) You were very helpful. Thanks.John

Guest robystar

Hi John,When you said, KSEA and KBFI are Modified, you were on the right track, I think.Now go to your scenerydb/afd files/scenery and find the usnwafd.bgl. Delete it or cut and paste it elsewhere in a backup folder and restore the usnwafd.ORIGINAL by changing the name back to usnwafd.bgl.It might help, but then,it might not depending on what files cause the problem. It could be as Holger said in the add on scenery.But it is easy to verify: just uncheck a bunch of add on sceneries in the scenery library. You will then know straight away if your problem is in the add-on scenery or not.Roby

"Now go to your scenerydb/afd files/scenery......"Hi Roby,Where do I find these files ?You've also been very helpful. I appreciate it.John

Guest robystar

Hi John,If I were you, I'd first try the scenery library in FS like Holger said ( start fs, go to settings and you will see the scenery library) and uncheck say 10 add-on sceneries. If the problem persists I'd try another 10 (I haven't the faintest how many scenery add-ons you have). That shouldn't be too 'odious'? Once and if you find you can run fs without problems, say you find it running smoothly after having unchecked the second 10 sceneries, you will know that your problem is in those add-ons. Then just check 5 of them again and see what happens, etc. I am probably explaining things you already know, but better too much explanation than too little.Then, in case it has nothing to do with the add-on scenery but with perhaps an airport afd file, then you go with explorer to wherever you have FS on your harddisk and in the FS folder you will find the scenerydb folder and in the scenerydb folder you will find the afd files folder and in the afd files folder you look for usnwafd.bgl and usnwafd.original. Proceed then as explained before. You can do this in AFCAD as well but I cannot exactly explain that to you as I have a different AFCAD version.Good luck.Roby

Thanks Roby. You've been great. The scenery library job may not be as bad as I first thought.So long.John

It sounds a bit like the old FS9 Seasonal CTD.Ken