Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Easy guide to land and texture definition in FSX

Guest enrico68

Where to find an easy understandable guide on how mesh, textures, terrain and building are implemented in FSX.

Ciao Enrico,Please try "Simple Instruction for Modifying Land Class", that can be found in the Avsim library.For any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask them here.Best regards.Luis

Guest UlfB

>Please try "Simple Instruction for Modifying Land Class", that>can be found in the Avsim library.Thanks, Luis.Sorry for hijacking this thread ;-)But the document "Simple Instructions for Modifying Land Class", is about FS9 and not FSX. Does EZ-landclass 2.0 really work with FSX?I'm a newbie when it comes to scenery design. I managed to get some xml excludes to work, because the SDK hade an example of the xml code. I've been searching the FSX SDK documents for an example on how to set landclass for an area, but I can't find any. Anybody out there that can provide me with an example of xml-code? It would be very much appreciated.Ulf B :-)ESMS

Hello Ulf,No hijack at all, the same topic.Land class does not work with xml and BGLComp, but rather with Resample. It is made the same way as FS 9 land class and land class made for FS 9 will work perfectly well in FS X,For the moment, there are no easy-to-use land class tools for FS X, (but there should be soon). In the meantime, we can use either Landclass Assistant or EZ-Landclass to make the land class in FS 9, and then use the bgl in FS X.Best regards.Luis

Guest UlfB

Thanks for the info, Luis :-)My problem is that I've not installed FS9 on my new computer. So I'll guess I'll wait for some new easy to use tool like EZ-landclass.Ulf B

Hi Luis:I have a question related to the orginal thread here:Do you know if Jim Keir's LWMViewer version 1.x or 2.x will work for purposes of viewing and manipulating landclass in FSX?And also, do you know if it properly views and/or decompiles FSX components as it does in FS9, and if so, which ones does it not handle properly yet (to the extent that it has been tested)?I really would like to use that utility, and have had driver issues and initialization errors which have impeded my progress thus far in FS9.I believe it could prove quite useful for landclass changes as are under discussion in this and various other threads. I must confess the operational learning curve was not as easy to surmount due to my challenges getting the program to run.But if I understand properly, since most changes to scenery that we make in FS9 which are written into BGLs could in theory be copied over for use into FSX until FSX specific utilities become available; is this correct?Thanks for any light you could shed on this issue.:-) GaryGB

Ulf, you do not need an installed FS 9 in order to use Landclass Assistant, although it does help in determining the coordinates automatically.Gary, Jim had been busy on updating his LWMViewer for FS X, and has got a lot done, from what I understand. But, he has a lot of projects in preparation, so we may have to wait a while. Slartibartfast is creating shapefiles, he has already said.Generally, though, FS 9 scenery will work in FS X, with just a few exceptions. As far as terrain is concerned, FS 9 land and water class are fine, so there is no problem there.Best regards.Luis

Guest UlfB

Thanks Luis!I'l try Landclass Assistant!Ulf B :-)

Guest UlfB

Luis,I tried Landclass assistant but the created bgl file didn't change anything in FSX. I placed the landclass bgl file in a new folder structure in the addon scenery folder (addon scenerymy_lcscenery) and added the folder to the scenery library in FSX. Very odd. I tried som old landclass files that worked in FS9, but still no change in FSX. I wonder why.Ulf B :-)

Hi Ulf,have you checked your file with TMFViewer, the FS tool in the Terrain SDK? That should always be the first thing to do after compilation because it's much easier to see issues with land class and mesh files than in the sim.Cheers, Holger

Hello Ulf,Very interesting. As Holger says, try loading in TMFViewer and see if you got anything visible.There is not a lot that can go wrong. The most common problem is probably errors in the coordinates. It happens to me all the time - I always forget to add a negative sign for West and my land class shows up somewhere in China!Perhaps you could post the inf file that you used - that would help us understand the problem a little better.Best regards.Luis

Guest UlfB

Thanks Holger and Luis,I'm a newbie with Landclass Assistant and I guess I messed something up in my first attempt. I read the documentation carefully and started all over. No problems after I understood the connection between the buttons in the LA and the inf and raw files. Funny thing that you still can use the tools from FS2000 Terrain SDK.Ulf B :-)