Sign in to follow this  
Guest player1

Photo scenery projection help...

Guest player1

My image was from as far as I can tell "NAD83 New York State Plane Coordinate System UTM Zone 18"I can reproject this from my GIS to WGS84, Do I also change to Geological LatLon or use UTM/WGS84.I am very confused by all the options in the GIS, I did a reprojection using GeoLatLon/WGS84 and the result was a slite image rotation (good) but it also squished the image way too much so something wrong.Also PS is limitted to image size smaller than 30000x30000 ??? I have 2 GIGs memory and permanant 3 gig swap file for doing large work and have turned off any "undo" commands but 30000x30000 is still the limit.???Thanks for any suggestions

Note that "New York State Plane Coordinate System" and "UTM Zone 18 (north)" are two different projections. Actually, NY state has 4 different sets of SPCS projection parameters, 3 are transverse mercator and 1 (Long Island) is Lambert conformal. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160404.jpgSo your first step is to look at the meta data and determine which projection is for your file.For our purposes, NAD83 and WGS84 datums are identical (that is, lat/long expressed in either are the same) so what you need to do is apply the appropriate projection conversion to "geographic". When data in geographic "projection" are displayed on a flat paper/screen, it is normal for areas to be distorted, due to the difference between angular units in geo and linear units (XY) on screen, increasing towards the poles.scott s..

Guest player1

Thanks Dick and Scott,I'll give it a go.

Guest player1

Would the UTM data be prefered or better than the NYS Plane?Thanks again.