Sign in to follow this  
nudata

GeoTiff Aerial/Satellite Photo Source?

I have had very good results creating photo textures from the Terraserver/JD Cox program. I use the conversion program in SBuilder to convert UTM to LAT/LON decimal. 1. use Ifran (free) to go from jpg to tif.2. Use Geo Tiff Tools to insert the millennium geotiff tags.3. Use GeoTiff Examine to enter the LAT/LON and pixel size.4. Put the proper name in the INF file, Resample and it works.Now I want to use NAIP NAD83 Pennsylvania type S files. More jargon...1. Convert the NAD83 to WGS84 using Viewfinder which now works but takes forever.2. Use GeoTiff Tools to insert millennium tags.3. Use GeoTiff Examine to enter the decimal LAT/LON and pixel size.Results below. Microsoft's move to TIF is a pain..GLOBAL MAPPERhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161855.jpgTMFVIEWERhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161856.jpgFSXhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161857.jpg

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest player1

"1. Convert the NAD83 to WGS84 using Viewfinder which now works but takes forever."Hi,Nice work!Are you sure that besides WGS84 that you are also converting to Geo/LatLon? Your pics do not look like the persice positioning that you should be getting if you are.

Hi Dick.>Microsoft's move to TIF is a pain..Microsoft didn't move to Geotiff, you did. You can still use the old terms to resample bitmaps, untagged tiffs, Targa.There seems to be a lot of confusion about using GeoTiffs. They are not required, and to make one takes more effort than simply using a bitmap.ALL these formats still require Lat-Long ( geographic ) projection, with WGS84 datum. And you are required to provide the bounds, cell distances, etc... just as we have for years. If you already have a geotiff, then use it.Dick

My problem was that I became too clever and used Viewfinder to try to convert NAD83 Pennsylvania-Plane S to WGS84. The program mangled the data apparently. Anyhow, I simply used the original NAD83 etc. file with the Millennium TAGs and it worked. Took 9 minutes to re-sample a 286mb file. The alignment to the original Microsoft river was excellent. This is heartening in that the process worked and that the rivers in Microsoft are quite accurate.Dick near 5G8

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>Hi Dick.>>>Microsoft's move to TIF is a pain..>>Microsoft didn't move to Geotiff, you did. You can still use>the old terms to resample bitmaps, untagged tiffs, Targa.>>There seems to be a lot of confusion about using GeoTiffs.>They are not required, and to make one takes more effort than>simply using a bitmap.>>ALL these formats still require Lat-Long ( geographic )>projection, with WGS84 datum. And you are required to provide>the bounds, cell distances, etc... just as we have for years.>If you already have a geotiff, then use it.>>DickTrue but it appears to get proper water masking you need to have a 5 channel image, so you need an image format that can support that.scott s..

Hi Scott.You still don't need GeoTiffs... regular Tiffs or Targa files should work just fine.All I'm writing is that making a Tiff into a GeoTiff is an extra step we can avoid by writing the bounds and cell-spacing in the INF file.We can also use BMPs if we specify separate files as the watermask and blend channels, avoiding the use of Alpha channels altogether.Dick

thanks. I see that now with multisource you can just use grayscale images for the extra channels.scott s..