Sign in to follow this  
Guest Loke

FS X modified terrain.cfg

While testing FS X, Dick Ludowise and I made various changes to the terrain.cfg.For example, the new FS X water will display a rock texture whenever water exceeds a certain slope, so as to eliminate the climbing water of the previous version.However, this results in patches of rock in water bodies throughout the world, for example, the Thames in London:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160725.jpgWe have modified the terrain.cfg so as to always display water:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160726.jpgAlso, there are various additions and modifications that allow the use of FS 9 features in FS X vector scenery.Please take a look at this modified file that can be found in the Avsim library:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...rado&CatID=rootThese changes should provide great benefits for your scenery projects.Best regards.Luis

Thank You very much, Luis and Dick!:-) The FS user community is indeed fortunate to have "Scenery Superstars" like yourselves to innnovate such solutions! ;-) GaryGB

Even without any changes it is a very nice reference to the terrain.cfg. Thanks guys.scott s..

Guest Loke

Does this mean that water in fjords again will be going up the slope if I install an upcoming set of new coastlines for Norway? My country has extremely complicated coastlines, and zillions of inland waters. If I again get "upwater" everywhere, I simply cannot use this modified file. I hope the file only works for rivers x:-)

Try this:Find the following items in the terrain.cfg:Texture.195Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Bay_Harbor_PerennialColor=FF2938FFguid={8F1CD843-CAB1-434A-9E78-A6A1DAD4ED2E}Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0andTexture.199Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_PerennialColor=FF2938FFguid={2D103429-89EB-4CB3-A61E-E188E79C77E7}Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0And change Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0toTextures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKEThat should bring back the rock on slopes for ocean and bay water.But, rivers will still display water where there was rock.Best regards.Luis

Well if the water goes "up slope" with the new terrain.cfg, then the rocks will go "up slope" without it... and you'll have rocks where there should be water... and shorelines ( beaches ) draped over the unwanted rocks. This is what happens with the default terrain.cfg The problem is the "flattening" applied to the new sloping water polys. It's interaction with the mesh produces unwanted rocky spikes near shores. New scenery can avoid this by using mesh-clinging polys over the appropriate mesh... and a few flatten polys applied to problem areas.Neither CFG file causes the problem.Dick

Guest Loke

Thanks for the info, guys :-)Testing the modified file right now, and it seems to work just fine. Looking forward to try with a custom scenery plus the extra modifications suggested here.Cheers,Andrew

Guest Loke

Well, with all the complicated coastlines and tons of rivers and waters in my country, something had to go wrong. Initially it looked nice checking a local river, but as you can see from the pic, the end of the rwy is gone crazy. I have a custom mesh installed, but no custom coastlines. With the modified file there was "upwater" at the rwy end, and with the extra modifications you suggested, Luis, the result is what you can see in the picture. Some spots are still covered with water.http://www.athomsen.org/div/encn1.jpgA fellow simmer at fligtsim.no just tried the modified file only, and the result is what you can see here:http://www.flightsim.no/forum/showflat.php...&fpart=all&vc=1So for now I gotta get back to the original :+Cheers,Andrew

Too bad, Andrew. It seems to be the same problem as in FS 9 - an airport flatten close to the water's edge affects the water and raises it, thus causing that visual anomaly. A shame, because I thought that the new FS X flatten priority might resolve that.Best regards.Luis

Guest Loke

Not that bad, Luis.Soon there will be custom mesh and coastlines. And if there still are flatten problems (well, aren`t they always incorrect?), I can wait for SBuilder for FSX and fix the trouble spots mysef. I am just waiting for tools to draw flattens like I did for FS9, and tools to convert them to XML, in order to escape all the manual editing. So meanwhile I fly in both FSX and FS9, and are studying the SDK plus hanging around in here :-)Cheers,Andrew

Question: what does:Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKEreally do? Is it the same as FS9 watermask (shows whatever waterclass textures are defined).Why does:Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0 work to change the behaviour?scott s..

Hi Scott.The OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE is set in the lclookup.bgl to have a rocky-textured slope. OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0 has no rocky texturing for slopes. That's the difference.They are actually landclass types, but when used as the texture definition for a Hydro polygon in FSX's terrain.cfg, they reveal the underlying waterclass.Dick

Hello Scott,From what I understand, the land class values display different ground textures dependent on the slope.If we had access to the land class lookup table, we would perhaps see that those "water" land class values differ in this. One will continue to display water no matter what the slope, while another will instead display rock once it encounters a slope greater than 6 degrees.Best regards.Luis