Sign in to follow this  

What Speakers do you use for FS2K2?

Guest GiZBUG

Looking at upgrading my Cambridge soundworks to something better, and curious what everyone is using/likes?

I'm using an old Akai amplifier with twin 50 Watt speakers. Nothing fancy, just quality sound.

2 year old Altec Lansing 4.1 ACS 45? I think. They are excellent for games and music but not having the center channel hurts for DVD

I always use hifi stuff, I'm not keen on these tiddly computer speakers and a sub woofer...... you can buy a decent amp and a pair of speakers for a couple of hundred or less .... 2d of course.I have a yamaha natural sound amp and a pair of wharfdale 7.1's.... cheap as chips , but great quality.pete

I'm using the creative soundworks speakers as well, and am happy with the results so far. However, I upgraded from my onboard sound to a SondBlaster Audigy sound card and will probably go to those creative 5.1 or 4.1 speakers for the "surround" effect.MikeOcala, Florida

I have to agree with the others in saying that the best computer sound always comes from separate stereo components and true loudspeakers. Even the cheapest of these sets will beat any of those pre-packaged computer speakers, particularly in the overall clarity of the sound at high volumes. However finding the right components and hooking all of them up takes significantly more time, although as I understand it there are consumer audio dealers in the US who could setup such a system for you.As for the question, I have never encoutered any computer speaker system here that sounded better than my pair of Bose 101s hooked up to any of the various old or surplus 50 to 100 watts per channel amps I had lying around. Unfortunately these speakers got "lost" for some reason so I had to settle for something a bit less:If you really have to limit yourself to computer speakers, I'd recommend you go with any of Monsoon's flat panel sets. They have excellent high-frequency output and produce absolutely the best stereo sound field of any computer speaker system I have ever heard (The kind that extends beyond the speakers.) -Leon Medado

Hello,I myself own the Cambridge soundworks 510D's, but pure for gaming i would recommend a good 4.1 system, if you use your PC also for DVD player and then 5.1 is more your area.I think a subwoofer is really a recommendation for Flightsims because you use bass sounds more, and looking for power cambridge or klipsch systems are perfect. Greetz,Paul

I use headphones....isn't the x-perience better with them than with speakers??

I'm using a SoundBlaster Live with the Cambridge Soundworks 4speaker 1 Subwoofer setup. Not the surround sound setup that you can buy.Doesn't sound tinny like others. Its a darn good speaker setup for a computer. ANd the bass. Oh the bass vibrates everywhere. Sounds just as good as a component stereo system.Pete

>>If you really have to limit yourself to computer speakers, >I'd recommend you go with any of Monsoon's flat panel sets. >They have excellent high-frequency output and produce >absolutely the best stereo sound field of any computer >speaker system I have ever heard (The kind that extends >beyond the speakers.) >>-Leon Medado In addition to my Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 I also own the Monsoon 2.1Yes the bass from the subwoofer is a lot more powerful. But the speakers aren't any better sounding than the Cambridge soundworks. They may be better spec wise but really its very difficult to tell audibly.Pete

>I use headphones....isn't the x-perience better with them >than with speakers?? I don't think so. True, ATC would be heard via a headset but my headset, a high quality SONY really diminishes the power that the audio has. You just dont get the save low throaty bass in the headset as you do from a subwoofer. Not to mention that for the the headset desn't deliver the sound of being inside a closed cockpit.

I would not hesitate to recommend Boston Acoustics BA7800. I acquiredthese at part of a 700XL package from Gateway; they are impressive!If you walked into a room and heard them you would not think that theywere 'computer' speakers. There's plenty of amplification and a superbsubwoofer. BA has not placed this model on the mass market and theyare available only from Gateway (about $250.00 U.S.).Klipsch 5.1 appear to high on 'desired list' and CSW has also launcheda new model (don't recall the number). These are $300 to $400.I'd also strongly recommend that you head over www.3dsoundsurge.comand visit the Forums. There's a multitude of opinions there, a lot oftechnical advice, and many comprehensive reviews of speaker systems.It's worth a look...-GeorgeM at 5B6

My personal recommendation are one of these two:Logitech Z560 4.1'sorKlipsch ProMedia 5.1'sThe Logitech's are extremely cheap for the type of high performance (approaching separates level) they provide. The sound quality and performance they provide is beyond reproach for this price range. Do note that this is a 4.1 set so you *might* miss the center channel if you play a lot of DVD's on your system. Don't put too much emphasis on the center speaker for computer setups however, as WinDVD and PowerDVD do an excellent job of decoding the center into the stereo sets. At around $140 US online, these are a steal.http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/Z560/index.htmlThe ProMedia's are my personal favorite. While relatively expensive (nothing like home theatre pricing of course), they are - bar none - the best set of multimedia speakers you can buy today. I highly recommend them if you are looking for the best of the best. They can be had online in the $375 range.http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/PM51/index.htmlAs pointed out above, 3D Sound Surge is the best site online for speaker reviews and comparisons. I highly recommend some research there before you make any decision: Good luck,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gif[link:flightontario.cjb.net]http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

>You just dont get the save low >throaty bass in the headset as you do from a subwoofer. Not >to mention that for the the headset desn't deliver the sound >of being inside a closed cockpit. You don't get trouser ruffling bass either from a headset though.Nothing like having ones trousers ruffling from the sub woofer!!! *:-*-- brian

Guest GiZBUG

ThanksI bought the logitechs =)