Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Unidentified polygon in TmfViewer

I have created 22 flattens without a problem but this one has beaten me. FSX has added the default texture to the sea. The first shot shows the area which I require to flatten, the second shot shows the flatten in TMFViewer, the third shows the effect in FSX. I have also added a fourth shot in which I first loaded 0501/4713 before my flatten. I have tried a flatten and a combined flatten and exclude using the same polygon. The second shot shows that my flatten has been clipped by the white area. The dark blue area is identified by TmfViewer as a shoreline but it will not identify the polygon surrounding the white area.I would be grateful for your comments.George656vz1.jpg656ajh3.jpg657sh3.jpg663uw6.jpg

Hello George,The dark blue should be the GPS water - it is a hydro polygon without an elevation value that only displays in the GPS, not in the terrain. You can turn it off in the menu for more clarity.Please notice the lines in the water - they define the limits of the Hydro Polygons. If your exclude is set to remove them, then they will be excluded completely, that is, up to their limits out into the water. So, the question is, are you excluding the default flatten, and if so, what GUID are you using? If you use the GUID for 164 Flatten MaskClassMap ExcludeAutoGen, then that is all that will be excluded.But, if you are using a GUID for all elements ({00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}, then you are also removing the water, and roads, and shorelines, etc. all the way to their clip level.Here is a picture of when I made this mistake. I drew an exclude (in yellow) and you can see everything that was removed:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161609.jpgWhy was so much removed? Because an exclude will remove everything that is intersected. Here you can see the default hydro polygons that were intersected and excluded:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161610.jpgAnd this seems to be what has happened to you. You have selected a GUID to exclude that covers not just the airport flatten, but also the hydro polygons.The solution is to look at the GUID for that exclude and make sure it only refers to airport boundaries.Or create new hydro polygons to replace those that were excluded.Best regards.Luis

>The dark blue should be the GPS water - it is a hydro polygon>without an elevation value that only displays in the GPS, not>in the terrain. You can turn it off in the menu for more>clarity.>>Please notice the lines in the water - they define the limits>of the Hydro Polygons. If your exclude is set to remove them,>then they will be excluded completely, that is, up to their>limits out into the water. >>So, the question is, are you excluding the default flatten,>and if so, what GUID are you using? >>If you use the GUID for 164 Flatten MaskClassMap>ExcludeAutoGen, then that is all that will be excluded.>>But, if you are using a GUID for all elements>({00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}, then you are also>removing the water, and roads, and shorelines, etc. all the>way to their clip level.Absolutely correct.Note that the GUID for the Airport Bounds (flatten of any flavor) AttributeBlock could also be used {359C73E8-06BE-4FB2-ABCB-EC942F7761D0}.-Doug

Thank you Luis,I am using {46BFB3BD-CE68-418E-8112-FEBA17428ACE} for the flatten, but {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} for the exclude. (There is no defaullt flatten). However, I originally did not have an exclude and it still displayed the default textures so I then added the exclude polygon.Doug,Do you think it would work if I used {359C73E8-06BE-4FB2-ABCB-EC942F7761D0} ?The final question is why should the GPS polygon be different from the sea? The problem as I see it, is that the GPS water is encroaching onto the land.George

>Thank you Luis,>>I am using {46BFB3BD-CE68-418E-8112-FEBA17428ACE} for the>flatten, but {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} for the>exclude. (There is no defaullt flatten). However, I originally>did not have an exclude and it still displayed the default>textures so I then added the exclude polygon.>>Doug,>>Do you think it would work if I used>{359C73E8-06BE-4FB2-ABCB-EC942F7761D0} ?>>The final question is why should the GPS polygon be different>from the sea? The problem as I see it, is that the GPS water>is encroaching onto the land.>>George>If there is no default flatten, it would seem you have no need for an exclude at all. The GUID you are using for the flatten ( {46BFB3BD... ) should do the trick. What do you mean by "default textures"?The GPS water poly is merely a low-resolution water polygon used only by the GPS (not the in-game terrain). They can deviate significantly from the terrain water. At the scale used by the GPS the differences are typically not seen.-Doug

Doug,Originally I had only a flatten but the sea was replaced by landclass (which I described as the default textures). I'll try it again but I'm sure it is interference between the flatten and the GPS polygon.George

Hmm, I must be going out of my mind. I was convinced I had tried it with just the flatten, however, doing it again shows that it works as expected.Please accept my abject apologies.Georgesorry2lb0.jpgsorry1vu7.jpg

Wow! That looks beautiful, George. It must be lots of fun flying over that.Don't worry, we are all making plenty of mistakes with these new methods at the moment. It will all sort itself out soon enough.Best regards.Luis