Sign in to follow this  
BaronKen

SDK's and scenery creation

Guys:Please indulge me for a moment and answer one question for me. I have FSX Deluxe, and have installed the provided SDK's. I have created some simple scenery files for myself in many of the older versions of FS using scenery creation programs, so I'm not a complete novice, but with the newer versions I might as well be. What I'd like to know is: Can I create a simple Bgl file for my hometown consisting of a few bridges, a couple of stadiums, some buildings and even perhaps some static aircraft at my local airport using the information and tools provided with the SDK's and the default scenery objects of FSX? I realize there are a couple of freeware scenery creation programs available (although I don't know if they work with FSX yet) that would make this relatively easy, but what I'm wanting to know is if it's possible using what's available with the SDK's if I'm willing to study and learn some new things.Thanks for any info you can provide, and for indulging me.

Ken

Yes, it's possible. It involves creating or editing XML files and finding and deciphering the default objects in FSX. In my installation this folder has a listing of what's available in FSX; D:ScenModFlight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitAutogen SDK. There's a file named library objects.txt that gives a good indication of what you can work with.I might suggest you check out Jon Masterson's site; http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/ where he has a beta version of LOM 2.0 that is made for FSX. I have it, but not yet installed. Details on the program are included with the download, should you decide to go that way.But yes, manually developing scenery is possible with the time and effort.

Thanks for the info and the reply. I was able to spend a little bit of time this afternoon reading the SDK; I then created a txt file to add an ILS to a hometown airport that doesn't have one. Unfortunately when I attempted to compile the file I don't get a bgl file, so obviously I coded something wrong. I'll look at what I've done and find my error(s) and try again hopefully in the next day or so. I'll then try adding a scenery object or two and continue to learn.I will also get LOM 2.0 and try it out sometime soon.Thanks for your help.

Ken

Hi Ken,I'm not too far ahead of you, just started digging into the SDK a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to duplicate an FS9 AFCAD based strip at Bonneville UT with BGLCOMP and while tedious, it works just fine. Made the runway, simple apron, taxiways and single parking spot. Then thought I'd add a hanger hanger object which I didn't have in FS9.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162408.jpgTHEN got to wondering what some of the other hangers looked like (don't have the viewer running yet either) so I started placing hangers along the runway for easy viewing and thus came to be the "Bonneville Salt Flats Hanger Emporium and FBO".http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162410.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162409.jpgYes you can do it. With the SDK utilities and a little guidanceLoyd

Thanks for the info and shots Loyd. It's nice to know I can create little bits of scenery here and there when I want to by using the provided tools and the SDK's. While I'm sure it can be tedious work, I'm hoping once I get the syntax down properly and better understand the code work, I will enjoy creating an occasional file, which is what I was hoping to be able to do.Thanks!

Ken