Sign in to follow this  

Is RAM the key to good framerates?

I have been wondering about this and I have heard mixed stories.I am looking into buying some more RAM for my P-4 1.6ghz.I currently have 256MB-SDRAM and I want to know if I can change from SD to DDR or RD RAM.1)I know that P4 was optimized for RDRAM.Can I use SDRAM and DDR or RD RAM together? Is that compatible?2)Will buying more RAM increase my FPS any?Also I need some tips on buying some RAM.I am kinda unhappy with the FPS I am getting with 256MB-RAM.Here are my system specs:Compaq EVO desktopP4 1.6ghz256MB-SDRAM40gigHDGeForce 2 64MB MX/400Any help would be greatly accepted!Thanks

Guest SD Sim

Either DDR or RDRAM will improve the quality of FS2K2, but use of either of those will require a motherboard that will support that type of memory. As for the P4/1.6, I've heard from the likes of Elrond and Max that this cpu barely outperforms a P3/1GHz cpu. So based on what I've learned, if you're going to set up a system with new memory, then get a MB that is based on socket A and invest in an AMD Athlon (an XP1800 should be available online for a reasonable price). Coupled with good DDR (such as PC2700), you will see a significant increase in performance. I have a system very similar to yours, and I thoroughly enjoy the new AMD system I have.

I think RAM is primarily key to smooth, stutter-free operation, not frame rates (unless of course you have horrible deficit of RAM which is not your case).Michael J.

>Either DDR or RDRAM will improve the quality of FS2K2, but >use of either of those will require a motherboard that will >support that type of memory. As for the P4/1.6, I've heard >from the likes of Elrond and Max that this cpu barely >outperforms a P3/1GHz cpu. So based on what I've learned, if Idiotic statement. Typically something for the AMD addicts to say.>you're going to set up a system with new memory, then get a >MB that is based on socket A and invest in an AMD Athlon (an >XP1800 should be available online for a reasonable price). Intel always. Intel outperforms and outlasts AMD, unless you compare a Celery on a cheapo mobo with an overclocked Athlon on a top mobo.

Thanks for your comments.I will look into those tips.I just bought this computer so I kinda have to make do with what I got.Maybe sometime later I can look into buying a AMD.I think I will stick with SD-RAM as I am not familiar with my motherboard.Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.Jared

>I have been wondering about this and I have heard mixed >stories.I am looking into buying some more RAM for my P-4 >1.6ghz.I currently have 256MB-SDRAM and I want to know if I >can change from SD to DDR or RD RAM. >Not without changing the motherboard. All I've seen take either one or the other but not both.>1)I know that P4 was optimized for RDRAM.Can I use SDRAM and >DDR or RD RAM together? Is that compatible? >See above, short answer is no.>2)Will buying more RAM increase my FPS any? >Depends on what you have and what you do with it.For your machine (with 256MB) it would give an improvement, especially if you run Windows XP or ME (as those are memory hogs) and/or many background processes.>Here are my system specs: >Compaq EVO desktop >P4 1.6ghz >256MB-SDRAM >40gigHD >GeForce 2 64MB MX/400 >Your main bottleneck is probably the Compaq mainboard. Those are really not designed for raw performance, being geared towards corporate computers that are used mainly for office applications and a bit of websurfing.More RAM and/or a new videocard might give an improvement but a new mobo (which would likely need a new case unless Compaq has abandoned their non-standard formfactor cases and mobos) could do even more.Be sure to get a mobo to fit the P4 you have, there are several different models of P4 that use different sockets and busclockrates.

>>Either DDR or RDRAM will improve the quality of FS2K2, but >>use of either of those will require a motherboard that will >>support that type of memory. As for the P4/1.6, I've heard >>from the likes of Elrond and Max that this cpu barely >>outperforms a P3/1GHz cpu. So based on what I've learned, if >>Idiotic statement. Typically something for the AMD addicts >to say. >>>you're going to set up a system with new memory, then get a >>MB that is based on socket A and invest in an AMD Athlon (an >>XP1800 should be available online for a reasonable price). >>Intel always. Intel outperforms and outlasts AMD, unless you >compare a Celery on a cheapo mobo with an overclocked Athlon >on a top mobo. Intel will almost always beat AMD in Office and Photoshop type apps.AMD is made for person who wants to overclock and just be a gamer.This is why their chips are cheaper, to attract the gamers .The gamers usually do not have money to blow on quad intel zeon.If you read some of the intel vs amd reviews.You will see that the new XP series is a great chip.Even the older thunderbird models are above intel in "most" benchmarks.I have worked as a computer tech for many years so I do not just pull this stuff out nothing.It's from experince.I do not want to start a flame war this is fs forum but statements calling people that like AMD over intel "idiots" is just a flame starter.Since I like to back up what i discuss http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1574It's all about what you perfer.I perfer AMD because I have always had better support,performance,prices nd motherboard features with AMD.I have not owned a intel in a long time.I lost faith in intel.Espically after I read the q2 stock report last year.I sold the stock based on it .I still think intel plays a very large roll in the biotechs and i respect them as a company.Let's get that straight before you flame me for my opinon.Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Hi JaredThink of it as a film stripe, usually the more cpu the faster each frame advances. Under high cpu usage like complexe airports and busy AI airports it can appear like a slide show.To describe a lack of RAM, take the film stripe and cut several frames out, so as when the film advances it seems as though it paused, then continues but parts of your flight are missing.RAM speeds up the process of exchanging textures. The more ram the faster the change of views for example. YES, I would suggest get more ram however you will not likely see much of an improvement in Frames/sec. Maybe a little.I'm currently running 768 mb sdram and with each bank I see a noticable improvement.SteveCYYZ

There is no magic bullet for performance for FS. Everything has to be *just right*. Here's the general strategy for great FS2002 performance:1. Get the overall best in class CPU you can find. Overclock it if possible and you know what you are doing. This is just to get the most CPU power you can muster.2. Use an OS that supports at least 512mb of ram--so that's Win98 and above. Yes i suppose 95 did too. I find there is still plenty of free, unused ram with my 512mb set up in Win98, so this is why I say 512mb is enough. Using XP or 2000 may or may not get you anything in the way of performance. I'm thinking it's not too critical from a performance view, but I haven't checked this out personally.3. If you go Intel P4 2.53GHz get at least 512mb of the fastest RDRAM available. If you go Athlon XP go with PC2700 or better CL2 ram. Get a stable mainboard that supports your components.4. I loathe to say it, but probably Leadtek Winfast A250 Ti4600 w/ 128mb video ram is what you're looking for. I'm trying to stick with ATI as I love what FS looks like at 1792 x 1344 x 32 on a plain old Radeon, but I guess the Geforce has its good points and is certainly the speed king.5. Not sure on audio--probably SB Audigy works.6. For serious I/O performance, pick up the Seagate Cheetah X15 SCSI Ultra 160 36GB drive with a decent Adaptec controller that supports at least ultra 160. This is unconfirmed with me as to how this drive set up would work with FS. There is a few % more CPU use with SCSI drives but they are truly much faster. SCSI RAID is really very little improvement over just plain X15.Now that you have all the basics of a good system, you must still do all the following to have reliably great performance:1. Set up FS correctly. Don't overdo it with the Terrain Mesh Complexity slider--it's a hog and the pay off ain't that good. Check out a few other areas. On my lowly machine, Scenery Complexity and Autogen are best left down around Dense, or possibly Very Dense. High is too much for this system with the other variables set as they are.2. Keep the FPS slider down as low as you can and still get very smooth and silky performance. This gets you good graphical detail and image quality or as much as possible but not having FS sacrifice detail for another 10 fps you don't really need.3. Do the "lean and clean boot" prior to launching FS. You want nothing running in the background like AV software or any other resource liability. Other classic culprits are hardware monitoring software like Motherboard Monitor that repeatedly pole the system to check on temperatures, or some other hardware issue.4. Your entire machine must be tuned with the best video and audio drivers that support maximum, full-service performance. Sometimes this takes some time to work out. Same goes true for all aspects of your machine: any BIOS upgrades, make sure the entire machine is set up perfectly in the BIOS and elsewhere.Whan all this is done, you too will have a great set up for FS. Unfortunately, anything short of this will dock you a bit here and bit there of your overall performance, and you will be left wondering . . . Is RAM the key to good framerates?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

A man of few words but more often than not insulting.Everyone has a view and they are entitled to express it without someone like JWenting popping up a rifling off a few shots. "Idiotic statement. Typically something for the AMD addicts to say"Typical staement of an Intel junkie"Intel always. Intel outperforms and outlasts AMD ....."and you have unequivocal proof? - funny how many system testers don't agree.

Guest fwsov

There is NO question, an AMD outperformes Intel's P4 any time of the day.

It's the CPU more than ram. I upgraded from a 1.4 gig to a 1.9 gig and saw dramatic improvement. I can fly fast and low now with one of the Alpha military jets (granted, very, very minimalist cockpits - the sacred six, a radar altimiter and maybe one engine gauge)and it is smooth as silk. No such improvement going from 256 to 724.

One more thing - the lower you set your FPS slider, the smoother and better looking the sim will be. I have a 1.9 p4 423 pin set up, 724 mgs of ram, a GEFORCE TNT2 Pro 64mg card and a turtle beach sound card. I have mine set for 24 fps (same speed as a movie profector) and it is very, very smooth.