Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Setting shoreline textures in FSX?

Guest cwright

I've written code in AutoAsm to create the new-style roads, traffic and shorelines for FSX (thanks for the help, guys). But I'm unable to select different shoreline textures which are listed in terrain.cfg. I need to know how to find the guid to place in the dbf file.Roads are no problem because the road textures listed in terrain.cfg have guid entries.Under (texture.n), 'Terrain Cinfiguration File' describes the parameters that appear in terrain.cfg. The third paramater is 'guid'. Problem is, the third parameter in the shoreline textures in terrain.cfg is not the guid but a 'LegacyID', for example 'LegacyId=1029' In fact the shoreline entries do not have guid values.So my question is: how to obtain the guid for a given shoreline texture?Many thanks.Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Brilliant!Once again, thank you very much (and thanks to Dick).Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Luis, there's a small problemette (isn't there always?)Basically most of the guid's (probably) don't work. I've tried 4 or 5. For example, Texture.3 and Texture.4 don't work (no shoreline appears).However, I've found that textures with the word 'generic' in the name do work (I've tried 3 or 4). In fact the database created by BLN2SHP specifies 'generic ocean shoreline', and that does work. But quite likely all the shoreline textures not described as 'generic' do not work. Very strange....Best regards, Chris

Hello Chris,There are always some problems - just part of life. Wouldn't it be nice if everything worked the first time? Just a dream I had.I have not tested all the new GUIDs, but it happens that I have used Texture 3, and it did display in TMFViewer, and then in game as well. It could be something is not right, Chris, but perhaps you could provide more information as to how you are doing them.Best regards.Luis

Hi Chris.I just checked my system, and the "fsx_modified_terrain_cfg" GUIDs DO work. I specifically checked Texture.3 and Texture.4Dick

>I've written code in AutoAsm to create the new-style roads,>traffic and shorelines for FSX (thanks for the help, guys).>But I'm unable to select different shoreline textures which>are listed in terrain.cfg. I need to know how to find the guid>to place in the dbf file.>>Roads are no problem because the road textures listed in>terrain.cfg have guid entries.>>Under (texture.n), 'Terrain Cinfiguration File' describes the>parameters that appear in terrain.cfg. The third paramater is>'guid'. Problem is, the third parameter in the shoreline>textures in terrain.cfg is not the guid but a 'LegacyID', for>example 'LegacyId=1029' In fact the shoreline entries do not>have guid values.>>So my question is: how to obtain the guid for a given>shoreline texture?>>Many thanks.>>Best regards,> ChrisThese are the defaults:Generic Lake Shoreline {7b3229d8-18ed-4f4d-ae22-12660862aba1}Generic River Shoreline {fda34c77-39fd-4507-b128-f4f55fec60dc}Generic Ocean Shoreline {68900a2a-6679-4580-88ea-8bfed4dac361}Generic Canal/Channel Shoreline {acc45e7f-a47a-44d6-ada6-59c9271bdb71}Note that you can now right-click on vector features in TmfViewer and Identify things like textures.-Doug

Guest cwright

Hi Luis and Dick, Now you've confirmed they work I'll re-check Textures 3 and 4.This is how I do it at the moment.1. Run AutoAsm to create the initial shoreline. It calls BLN2SHP which creates a default generic shoreline in the DBF file.2. To change the shoreline I copy the new guid from the revised terrain.cfg. I then open the DBF file with a free DBF editor and paste in the new guid.3. I re-run SHP2VEC from the DOS prompt to make the new bgl.I'm sure my technique works okay because, if I then copy and paste in the original guid created by BLN2SHP, then the shoreline magically appears. It also works if I choose a texture with 'generic' in the name, though it could be a coincidence.I'll re-check Texture.3 and 4.Many thanks.Best regards, ChrisP.S. What are you guys doing to the dollar? It's falling like someone who jumped out of a perfectly good aeroplane and forgot his parachute. Trouble is, half of my money is in dollars....

I wish the dollar would crash like that compared to my local currency, Chris. Then, I could buy a fancy new quadruple-core, tera-Byte system and get good performance! Just kidding, I just need to turn down my settings.Forgive the obvious, Chris, but have you removed the default terrain.cfg and placed the modified version in the game?If so, that could be a reason why you are not getting the shorelines.Best regards.Luis

Hi chris.Why not zip up the shpfiles as include it as an attachment? Then Luis and I can see where the problrm lies.Dick

Guest cwright

Luis, maybe I should buy my next PC from the US. Of course the weak dollar means a strong pound....I haven't been able to get back to it yet, but I will take another look shortly. If no joy I'll attach the files for you and Dick to look over....Yes, I had installed the file. It makes the Thames look a million times better!Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Doug,many thanks.Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Luis, I think the scenery likes the weak dollar, because it's working now (the dollar fell another one percent today, ouch....) I did initially install the new terrain.cfg and was glad to see those ugly rocks in the Thames had gone. I started some tests but diverted to check something in the new England/Wales VFR scenery (pretty stunning, by the way). By chance I noticed that some lakes had acquired ugly cliffs and, being of a suspicious nature, wondered if the new terrain.cfg was to blame. I replaced with the default, but no joy. I subsequently found the problam was probably caused by installing a new section of the scenery earlier in the day. (It's fixed now and looks beautiful).Naturally I forgot to put the new terrain.cfg back so, yes, I did do the subsequent tests without it. It probably explains why the 'generic' textures did work, as perhaps FSX already 'knows' those values.I tried four textures and all work fine. Of course, it implies that for anyone intending to use sceneries created with these methods, they will also need the updated terrain.cfg. It does look like a bit of an oversight by Microsoft. But overall I'm really impressed by FSX.Now I'll write some code to automatically update the dbf file with the chosen texture guid.Once again, Luis and Dick, many thanks!Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris.Please DO distribute the new terrain.cfg with any scenery you distribute. It doesn't hurt the default scenery, and adds a lot to addon capability.Dick