Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Can I use TerraBuilder to compile Hi-Res 1.2m photomesh?

Subject says it all. Looks like it is only capable of creating up to 4.8m mesh so I thought I would ask before spending any more time om it.Oh, and this is for FS2004 not FSX...thx,ClutchProject 9 Dragons

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest cbuchner1

If TerraBuilder is based on Microsoft's RESAMPLE.EXE then I suspect this is a "no go".However I was able to replace the 256x256 pixel 4,75m resolution BMP format tiles with manually created 1024x1024 pixel versions after the fact. These load in FSX, but as far as I know FS9 is limited to 256x256 pixel textures. I am going to run some tests with FS9 to see what it maskes out of the high resolution BMPs.Christian

Thanks for talking a looksy Christian. I have been able to ake 1024x1024 easily using Sbuilder but there are some side effects do I am look at some type of front -end t make it easier at first and then learn to "tweak" if needed. SCASM definately the way to go for what I need , just not sure about using resampler as you say it may be the limiting factor.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

I understand Misho Katulic authored a module into terrabuilder that allowed for the creation of custom gmax terrain-like polygons with high res imagry. While it can appear like high res photoreal imagry, I believe the sim treats it like an added 3d object. Could be frame heavy...not sure.I like the creativity, but haven't tried it myself.That's the only way I know of to exceed the 4.8m/pixel constraint in fs9.Bob

Guest andy58

>>If TerraBuilder is based on Microsoft's RESAMPLE.EXE then I>suspect this is a "no go".>>However I was able to replace the 256x256 pixel 4,75m>resolution BMP format tiles with manually created 1024x1024>pixel versions after the fact. These load in FSX, but as far>as I know FS9 is limited to 256x256 pixel textures. I am going>to run some tests with FS9 to see what it maskes out of the>high resolution BMPs.>>Christian>Something I tried with FS9 was to resize the textures to 512 x 512 to see if they would hold up better at lower altitudes. You don't get any improvement in the resolution of course but it did look smoother down lower. Martin Wright's Convim.exe is excellent for batch processing the resize.The other issue I didn't get to try was the scaling factor but not sure if this was only meant for mesh.I've held off changing to FSX because of the FPS issues I would have but was lookig forward to try the SDK's but they only seem to be available on the DVD and not for download?Andy

Thanks guys for your input. I'm looking at a different method now. I don't Terrabuilder is capable. Uing SCASM is definately the answer. I've seen results of other modelers and they are excellent. Hi-Res textures, no blurries, no gridline, no spikes. All in FS2004.So I m sure you are saying "Well then, just go ask the authors how they did it" Ha! Ive tried believe me. I can never seem to get a straight answer. What is this a trade secret or something? ;)I'm close but just have a few questions about it. So if you are modeler who has used SCASM for this and want to help a fellow simmer over this hump... sure would appreciate it.thxClutchProject 9Dragons