Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Waypoint addition problems

Guest canyonff

Hello,I have recently been trying to beef up the airspace around my old stomping grounds of Fort Rucker, AL. In what is going to be a small process I would like to add most, if not all of her satallite stagefieds, namely the one where I was a controller, Brown Stagefield.In what I assumed would have been a simple enough fix, I wanted to try adding simple waypoints for each S/F just to see the layout of them all and make sure it looks like I remeber the space looking like. So I began looking into the process. I thought it would be simpler than it was by searching the forums and reading, but it hasn't. I hate not being able to do this so I'm asking for help to see what I'm doing wrong. This is the .xml file that I've compiled into rucker06al.bgl. I just don't see what's missing, but something is keeping the waypoint from showing up in the Map feature. Just for reference, but I doubt matters, the geographic location of BRN SF is underneath Rose Hill military ops airspace (jet practice, i.e. interesting entertainment during lunch).The code compiles fine, but the waypoint just doesn't show up. If you guys could help I would appreciate it.

You are lacking some info in the airport header and too much information in the Waypoint data Must look like this<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

lon="E85* 58.3"I think maybe you want W est lon? :)Note that there are "terminal" waypoints (included in the airport elemaent) and waypoints (not included within an airport element).scott s..

Guest canyonff

Thanks for the help so far, but I'm still confused about a few things. Real quick though, thanks for pointing out the W - E difference. I'de been looking at numbers for hours and somehow must have changed it to E instead of W. I had been putting the bgl files into the addon scenery folders, as per another thread, but they hadn't been working. So after i copied your responce, which is way different than the method used in a different post, and it still didn't show up, I just dumped it in the sceneryNamescenery folder. On start up, it did the new scenery library thing so I figured it worked, and sure enough it did.Now, when I copied your xml help I didn't check the WP coordinates, so at that time BRN was extreamely NORTH and EAST of OZR. I deleted my new bgl, fixed the error, and recompiled and it all looked good. So then I added the other 17ish stagefields and also Shell. All the way points are looking good, so now it's time to start making the fields.I'm using FSSC to get my feet wet. I know it's an older program, but hey, it's working. My one question is, why am I having to put all the files in the sceneryNamescenery file to get them to work? I would assume I could put them in addon scenery, scenery, or even scenerNameBRNscenery or NamesceneryBRN. But no, i'm having to dump all the bgl files in Namescenery. This doesn't seem right, is it? or is something wrong? btw, I am using 2004cofAnyway, thanks so far

Thanks Scott I missed the E*85CanyonffDid you properly activate the addon scenery folder you made by going to the library menu settings so the FS9.cfg reads it?Regardless, I always put bgl's that are related to waypoints, approaches, etc. into the SceneryGenericscenery folder as per the BGLComp SDK.This folder is for loading Airport/Facility data read after the name/scenery folder but before any type 3rd party scenery is added into a higher priority addon folder.FS9 reads this folder on startup to see if there are any changes or additions made that will be subsituted in place of the Airport/Facility data in the respected AP9xxxxx.bgl file.Another problem with putting the bgl into the namescenery folder is how the file is named. In some folders that use the Airport Header twice in 2 different files will load the Airport Header (plus data) it sees first. That in turn can eliminate FS9 seeing your waypoints and still load the originals if you are replacing old ones with new ones. I also make it a habit to use the decimal format for LAT/LON. Certain utility/3rd party design programs have a drifting issue associated with them during the compiling process so it is best to try and lock the position as accurate as possible. The decimal LAT/LON in FS9/FSX can carry out 13 places past the point (33.6343134567083).Utilities are available that read this type form of LAT/LON based on position of the airplane.

Guest canyonff

Sorry to waste your time, but I answered my own question right after I posted it. It's been a long time since I added a scenery pack so I kinda forgot how to do it. I was expecting it to realize something first then you tell it, instead of vice versa. Anyway I'm trucking along getting these done, have two questions thought, one should be easy enough so i'll ask it first. Why are the actual airfields not showing up in the Map? What's missing now? and two, what's the easiest way to get a picture onto the airfield? I was trying to put H's on the ends of the runways and I couldn't get the texture to work with me and stay on the poly. So i copied and edited the texture I wanted and put it on background pics, forgot you can't just use bitmaps and after my next compile, it messed up. Same for parking pads, I just tried to make these as off-white polies with no texture and they didn 't show.and since I got your attention, I didn't see it yet, but is there a scasm >xml transposer? So much info to learn. I'm going to crash now... been up for long time, sorry if it seems incoherent at anytime. This is making me feel like I'm chopping a path through the jungle, only I'm not using a machete.. just my head ><.

I would say, unless you have a lot of experience with SCASM, to use an xml-based program instead. I recommend SceneGenX, if for no other reason it will produce the xml for you and you can hand-edit to add in some of the FSX stuff if desired. As Jim was writing, updated airport data can be a little tricky in how / where FS will look for data. The normal scenery area priority system in the scenery library works for the most part but isn't perfect. That probably is a holdover from FS2002, when the "facility data" was kept in a seperate folder than visual scenery data and the default files had to be edited, rather than replaced by addon files.scott s..