Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Background/terrain images for scenery placement?

Hi all-I've begun experimenting with EZ-Scenery, and am looking for a way to either create a large polygon textured with a satellite photo to use as reference for object placement, or, better, to be able to apply an image to the terrain itself, and place buildings and objects on that, and have it remain in place.I've downloaded gmax and figure that may be the easiest way to create the "reference polygon" but am not certain.Any help appreciated!thxAndrew

EZ-Scenery is an object placement tool, like others that are available. Not trying to be a smart aleck, but all it does is place predefined objects and create the code for use in FS. BTW, I have and use EZS.To get into the terrain and what it looks like, a different type tool is needed. Check the file library for SBuilder by Luis Sa or Ground2K by Christian Formey (sp?). These type tools allow you to define new polygons for placement within FS and Sbuilder I know is used quite a lot for photo-scenery work.I use SBuilder, it's powerful and a little quirky at first, but sounds like the tool to accomplish what you want to achieve.

There is a tool called TexPoly that can create scenery ground polygons. Also I guess GMAX with the FS2002 gamepak can be used. But It sounds like what you are after is just a better visual way to place objects than using the native FS. Sbuilder has an object placing capability, which can also take a backgropund image as a visual guide. SceneGenX is designed for airports, but I think you could also use it as a general scenery placement tool.Or, you could use a photo-texture placement program such as Sbuilder, Terrabuilder, or Photo Scenery Maker to convert your image into FS photo terrain format, load it into the game, and then use your EZ placer. scott s..

Thanks guys-I'll check out those tools.The structures and scenery are my primary objective - yes, I know EZ is just for that (and really good at it) but eventually, I'd like to use texture on the ground as well.For now, if it's only just for accuracy of object placement, that's fine, too..cheersAndrew

I agree with Scott,Photo Scenery Maker will do the job, is freeware and also very user friendly.Produces an exact image on the FS ground from any satellite or aerial photo in 4.8 m/pixel which is OK for flights above 2500 feet.However "satellite" photos are low-res and thus very "blurry" so you should use aerial photos (ortophotos) like what is available in Google Earth over e.g. London City.Bjorn

Thanks - I downloaded Photo Scenery Maker, but am not sure where to load the FS 2000 SDK stuff - I loaded into my other SDK director (in Program Files) but it doesn't see it...The tutorial says to load it into its default location, which did not work either. This was just on the C drive root.Any ideas?thxAndrew