Sign in to follow this  
JMEppright

GMAX FSX

Gentlemen,I am trying to make the transition from GMAX FS2004 to GMAX FSX. I have the original SDK and the recently issued update. What I am missing is the flow and configuration documentation for the changes.When I load an older GMAX file and try to export it, I get messages about no GUIDs plus the expected notes about a surface not being textured. I understand the texture issue but the process aborts over the GUIDs. Am I supposed to get a X file? What prompts GMAX to create that?Is there a doc somewhere that will enlighten me as to the new process? Thanks.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

I've seen a response to this question a few times here. I don't have GMax in front of me - I'm going by memory: to assign a GUID, you navigate to the FSX Tools Menu item, LOD attach? (LOD something), and there is a button in the dialog box that allows to you assign a friendly name and automatically generates a guid.There is also at least one example of the xml location file on this forum that you will need to compile the bgl with.CheersPaul

Guest jsvw2001

The SDK will provide you with the information. Please look at the "Environment Kit". in the "Modeling SDK", it will tell you a lot of using the "Modeling Tools", "Attach Points", "FSX Materials", etc. Also look in the "Compiling BGL" section for a detailed lay-out of the xml file.GMax will only offer a MDL export. Assign GUID and Friendly name by using the 'FSTOOLS' menu, 'LODNmaeTool' and 'Create new GUID for this file'. Retrieve the GUID from the 'File Proprties', 'Custom' section.

Thanks, I'll dig that out. Sometimes finding the right info to get started is the biggest battle.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

OK, I see the FSTools on the GMAX menu bar in GMAX. I have created the GUID with the LOD tool, I believe it is. When I try and export I am still getting error messages. What utilities lie between GMAX and BGLCOMP?Thanks

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

The FSX export plugin lies between, but I don't think that's the problem. What specific error messages are you getting? Have you installed .NET framework 2.0? Ensuring you have the latest DirectX installed may be useful as well.Jon

I'll check the messages. Its a file that compiled fine with the FS2004 Gamepack.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

I have installed the .NET framework 2.0 and should have the latest DirectX although it would be what came with FSX or my GTX 8800.Messages I get when attempting to export a file that worked OK with FS2004 Gamepack is:System. XML.XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 426, position 42.Convert Data FailedFailed to run exporterFailed to export modelExport module failure_____________________Thanks,

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

The plot thickens! OK, the file I was trying to export is a complicated one that worked in FS2004 gamepack. By the way, I verified that my DX is latest. I loaded the Jenny file that comes with GMAX. It exported OK but slow. The export created more than one MDL file but no XML file. If I need to start over then so be it. I had hoped that I could massage FS2004 files to update them. Is that impractical? Why must the whole process be overhauled if tools such as GMAX are still used?I have searched the SDK multiple times and have not found a doc that deals with the process of taking a gmax file and making it work. What have I missed? Please forgive my frustration.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

I've converted a number of models without problems, so the process overall works. However there are glitches now and again, and it's hard to pin the cause down.If your model has multiple objects, you might want to export one object at a time to find the culprit ...Jon

You may be right except for one hitch in the get-a-long. I also tried to export the Jenny that comes with GMAX with same results. I've got the .net2 installed along with the latest DirectX software. This is an honest to gosh mystery!

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Oh, oh, that's not good, Mike! And you had no problem with the FS9 export gamepack? I'd be tempted to make sure I installed gmax and the FSX gamepack OK, although that's pretty easy.Jon

Maybe I missed something. Doesn't one just copy the FSX Gamepack from the SDK to the Gamepack directory in GMAX?

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Yup, that's all there is to it... your fs9 exporting is working fine, right?Jon

"Yup, that's all there is to it... your fs9 exporting is working fine, right?"Well, as I said in a previous post, about a week ago I redid harddrive due to motherboard/cpu upgrade. That being said, the files in question exported fine prior to upgrade.I do appreciate the help.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)