Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Textures in gmax don't show in EZ-Scenery

Hi all-In my quest to learn some new scenery stuff here I'm making some progress.I'm able to create a texture-less object and bring it into EZ by exporting from gmax and using the Library Object Manager to open/export an object .bgl.However, when I use a texture (just tried 512 x 512 bmp), everything seems to go fine until I try to open the .bgl in EZ, at which point I get an error message about it not being a valid type or something. But... I can still place the object in EZ, it's just missing its texture.Any help appreciated!thxAndrew

Have you converted them DXT1 bitmaps? Normal Windows 24 bit bitmaps won't show in FS9.

"Have you converted them DXT1 bitmaps?"Nope... sure haven't. This is the first I've heard of that.Maybe I'm a little picky, but that type of thing should be covered in a tutorial somewhere. Of course, I might just be pushing my luck hoping to actually find tutorials for people who just want to create something without knowing to look for things you wouldn't know to look for anyway...;)So - my search continues. Thanks, I'll look that up...cheersAndrew

Ok - and a little more.Some reading tells me DXT1 are for images with no alpha or a 1-bit alpha. That's fine - but is DXT1 my only option?Also... I'm hoping to find, believe it or not, a DXT conversion plugin for Photoshop on OSX, as I'm a graphic designer and use a Mac for most of my work... meaning, I don't own Photoshop for Windows.I doubt that's going to happen, though (I haven't found anything yet) but I'm sure I might find some Windows-based conversion utilities.That said, MAYBE, somewhere in some documentation, I'll also find out what I need to do to create night textures, too.Andrew

Hello Andrew,Welcome to the wonderful world of learning Gmax. It's as much fun as pounding your own toes with a hammer. :+ Forums like this are invaluable. I highly recommend you also visit scenerydesign.org.DXTbmp is a wonderful free program for viewing and converting different types of graphics files. You can get it here....http://fly.to/mwgfx/There are actually quite a few graphics file formats that FS9 will use, but DXT seems to be the most compact. It's the one I use and I've not had had any reason to switch.Sidney Schwartz KPDX