Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

Mesh Resolution

Hi everybody and Merry Christmas to you!I am just now dabbling in scenery creation and have a very basic question. To what resolution is FS2004 mesh? I see 19m mesh available I guess because there is better 9m mesh around. Is this 19m mesh a big improvement over FS2004 default? And what resolution is FSX? I did a little searching last night (was late and I was tired) and I couldn't find an answer to this question.Thanks in advanceDolph

Hello Dolph,This is generally a slow time for the forum, as most people are either celebrating with their families, or out skiing with their families or.. wait, what am I saying? They are trying out their new hardware, trying to get the best performance possible. So, there are not many to answer questions. Maybe after the holidays.So, let's see. FS 2004 mesh and FS X mesh are of variable resolution, depending on the area of the world.Steve Greenwood had a list of default mesh for FS 2002 and FS 2004 with their resolution, but his web site is no longer available.To see FS X mesh resolution, load the dem****.bgl files in TMFViewer and look in the menu for LOD resolution - the LODs in that mesh file will be in bold, while those not present will be grayed out.19 meter mesh is a very great improvement over FS 9 mesh since the maximum then was LOD8, I believe. But, I don't remember if FS 9 could even display that resolution.Happy holidays.Luis

Thanks Luis,Happy Holidays to you and yours. I too should be out doing things besides tweaking and flying. I have motorcycles to ride but then it's a little to cold for that...Yes, FS9 can display it if you change TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL= from the default 19 to 21. I downloaded some free 19m mesh from FS Project and it did improve the looks of things. The only bad from this is that autogen is sunken in places. I don't know if it's worth tweaking forever to fix this or just live with it. From 1000' or higher all you can see is the roofs anyway. Dolph