Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Abacus Scenery Shortcut

Guest fame

A kind soul brought to my attention yesterday the subject program. And the fact that the publisher was allowing its download gratis. That

Guest lc0277

wow 31 MB ! that's big for just a graphical frontend to bglcomp. Did somebody try this and can tell what's more in the package ? --lc0277http://lc0277.nerim.net

Have ordered it and will see what's there. Respects to size at 31mb, don't forget there are two instructional videos, which I'm guessing (not assuming) accounts for a large portion of the download.And Thanks to Tom for pointing this out!

I'm a sucker for stuff like this but I have to say it un-nerves me that THEY "Abacus" would require a VISA Card # and all person info to get the FREEWARE file.This looks like some slick marketing to me. If something is really free the download should start on one click. Why not post it on Flighsim.com or AVSIM then for free.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guest fame

Hi bwallis:"This looks like some slick marketing to me. If something is really free the download should start on one click. Why not post it on Flighsim.com or AVSIM then for free". I could be wrong... however, I believe that it's just a matter of their order entry software requiring character input into all REQUIRED fields to complete the transaction and the subsequent download. In short they

Hi Tom.This is very strange.To read their ad, it seems their program is needed to place a scenery object outside of a mission environment. But the Object Placement Tool already does this!Right under the "Save Mission" button in the Object Placement Tool, is a miracle button named "Save Scenery". That should have given them the hint before their program was developed ( 35Mb download ).The Tool already saves scenery as an XML file. All the developer then needs is to 'drag-n-drop' the xml file onto BGLComp, and a scenery placement BGL is made. You can also load an XML file, or merge XML files. All without Abacus' program.No wonder it's free. As noted above, all it could be is a front-end for BGLComp ( which only requires 'drag-n-drop' ).Dick

Dick thanks for the insight. I have yet to try the tool. But that all sounds easy to me.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thank you very much, Dick. That one went right by me. Did not even notice.Perhaps that is why Abacus is offering this tool for free, although for the life of me, I cannot imagine what it does besides provide video tutorials on placing scenery.This Save Scenery option is not mentioned at all in the scenery S.D.K.s, nor does it appear in the mission S.D.K., so as usual we are left to stumble our way through the possibilities until coming upon them.Anyway, it is a great help and an extremely useful tool for us, and greatly simplifies object placement.Best regards.LuisBy the way, while viewing the objects, I came across a number of them that display no textures, and wonder if anybody else had noticed this - some of the wood-brick houses and one of the marinas has what look like an untextured shed over the boats. It could be the shader problem, but would appreciate confirmation. Thank you.

No credit card was required when I downloaded. In fact there was a large red statement at the top of the order form saying that it wasn't required. They may have added this after the initial poster's notice.PD

Hi Luis.One warning about saving the XML files.The Mission XML and the Scenery XML will default to the same name!So, be sure to change the name each file is saved as to avoid overwriting a mission XML with a scenery XML.Also, before using the object placer, enter slew mode, elevate the position "Q", and tip the aircraft naerly straight down with the "(" key. Then the objects are easier to place.DIck

I have never used missions and when I tried to find the buttons mentioned I failed. If I start a mission and then use the ";" key to save I am placed in the normal Save Flight Screen with none of the buttons mentioned. I feel dumb, but how do I get to those buttons??I will continue to search but/////EDIT-- Is the developers SP1 the key. Downloading now. Wanted to beat the edit clock....Dick Boley>Hi Tom.>>This is very strange.>>To read their ad, it seems their program is needed to place a>scenery object outside of a mission environment. >>But the Object Placement Tool already does this!>>Right under the "Save Mission" button in the Object Placement>Tool, is a miracle button named "Save Scenery". That should>have given them the hint before their program was developed (>35Mb download ).>>The Tool already saves scenery as an XML file. All the>developer then needs is to 'drag-n-drop' the xml file onto>BGLComp, and a scenery placement BGL is made. You can also>load an XML file, or merge XML files. All without Abacus'>program.>>No wonder it's free. As noted above, all it could be is a>front-end for BGLComp ( which only requires 'drag-n-drop' ).>>DickRegards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

For an illustrated explanation, please see here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...2&mesg_id=33462(I was completely mistaken in that thread, and the file can be saved for scenery use.)Then, when you have added all the objects, return to the Mission tab andhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164942.jpgAn xml file that can be dropped on BGLComp will be saved.Be careful, when exiting the Object Placement Tool, you will be asked if you want to save. If you do, the file will be saved in mission format and will be useless for placing objects, so do not save over the scenery xml file.Best regards.Luis

Guest bustervk

>Anyway, it is a great help and an extremely useful tool for>us, and greatly simplifies object placement.>>Best regards.>>Luis>>>By the way, while viewing the objects, I came across a number>of them that display no textures, and wonder if anybody else>had noticed this - some of the wood-brick houses and one of>the marinas has what look like an untextured shed over the>boats. It could be the shader problem, but would appreciate>confirmation. Thank you.hi Luis,I just checked this tool too, and had also a number of objects with no textures.I have used EZ Scenery from Abacus before with FS9, but that one worked a lot better...Kind regardsBert

Thank you very much for confirming, Bert. Now I know that I am not the only one.Best regards.Luis

I too viewed the free Abacus dowload with interest and the one thing I want to place in my scenery is People (humans). Can anybody tell me if this type of scenery is available in the drop down menus?Also, (I have the deluxe version) is the SDK automatically installed with FSX or is this installed manually. If so, where do I find it, ie which disk etc?Many thanks Guys.

Keith Sandford.