Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Abacus Scenery Shortcut

Guest daparker

Every time I try to add a scenery object using this tool, I get an error message that states "you must be looking at or closer to the ground." I am positioned at ground level with a front cockpit view (with the panel hidden). I've tried it both in slew mode and flight mode and keep getting the same error message, no matter which object I try to add. Has anybody received the same message?Doug

Guest daparker

re last message...that problem was resolved when I changed the path in dll.xml to the SDK where I originally installed it. Now I do not get the error message but when I add a scenery object, it doesn't appear in the FSX window. although its information appears in the property box.Doug

Guest archtx

Doug:I usually switch to Outside view/Top down view to have a better look at the crosshairs. However, using the Object Placer Tool you could just use the hatswitch on your joystick to tip the nose down.

Guest daparker

Thanks for the tip. It seems that the object placer initially places the chosen object at the viewing aircraft's location, not off-set like indicated in the instructional material. Everything seem to be working now.Doug

>I too viewed the free Abacus dowload with interest and the>one thing I want to place in my scenery is People (humans). >>Can anybody tell me if this type of scenery is available in>the drop down menus?>>Also, (I have the deluxe version) is the SDK automatically>installed with FSX or is this installed manually. If so, where>do I find it, ie which disk etc?>>Many thanks Guys. Thanks for the help, NOT.

Keith Sandford.

Guest bustervk

hi Luis,After some playing with the Abacus Scenery Shortcut tool i wrote them this email:_________________________________________________________________At the Abacus site i read at the bottom of the Scenery ShortCut page: Note: the EZ-Libraries are Not Available At This TimeIncluded with Scenery Shortcut is a set of libraries that we've built from the ground up. They contain several hundred 3D objects. Known as the EZ-Libraries, they are filled with vehicles, signs, buildings and other unique objects to use in your own designs. The EZ-Libraries are freely available to all Flight Simulator users to download and install on their Flight Simulator systems, thereby simplifying the sharing of your sceneries that use any of these 3D objects. But I want you to remind you that most of the EZ-Scenery I have created in FS9 NOT visible is in FSX...and that are the same EZ-libraries...!?__________________________________________________________________What is your opinion about this Luis?Might that be the same reason that some objects show up in "darkgrey" as we both saw already?kind regards.Bert

Guest cwright

Patience....Yes indeed, there are people, many of them animated. I think the names are prefixed 'ppl'. There are also animated animals. Of course the object library is large and it does take some searching to find useful stuff.From memory I don't think the SDK is installed during the FSX installation. Look at the disks in Windows Explorer (possibly Disk 1) and the SDK set up should be easy to find.Best regards, Chris

Guest archtx

Slipstream:To add to Chris's note, Luis just posted a tutorial on AvSim about using the Object Placement Tool for scenery. But it ALSO includes installation instructions, which you will find helpful. Regarding people, there are a few scaattered in there that do not have the PPL prefix. Likewise with some of the animals. Read thru the whole list.

Guest armchairpilot

This is strange... All scenery I created with EZ-Scenery in FS9 is visible in FSX.Did you copy the libraries over to FSX? Are there specific libraries/objects not showing?

Guest bustervk

>This is strange... All scenery I created with EZ-Scenery in>FS9 is visible in FSX.>>Did you copy the libraries over to FSX? Are there specific>libraries/objects not showing?>I linked the FS9 EZ-Scenery directory to FSX and only 30 % is showing up.Airport buildings not.Bert

Guest bnick

I downloaded the free SS software, installed it, and within minutes I completely populated a small airport with standard FSX aircraft, trees, cars, trucks, lights, etc, and improved this little local airport 100%...This is a sweet little gift of a program and works flawlessly all within FSX... It worked great in top-down plan view, as well as any other view you want to use... I do wish I had a nice FSX pointer or crosshair like we had in FS9 to use, so I could see the smaller objects I was adding, that always seemed to hide behind my Baron, but a quick little top-hat movement on the joystick changed the position enough so I could grab the new component and move it where I wanted it...Object scaling and rotation were super easy... Once the XML is created you just instantly make a bgl, then place it in the scenery directory you want it go, then go to FSX's scenery button within your active FSX session, turn off your scenery where the new scenery bgl is now located, say ok and when it's done unloading that scenery, reopen the FSX scenery command again, and turn that scenery back on, and say ok...After it reloads your scenery it will have read your new bgl and everything you added will be there... This is a really great little tool and I have never owned their EZ scenery creator so I have none of their libraries and only installed default FSX objects... I saw no FPS hits with everything I added and I added a lot...Server Workstation Win XP Pro 64 Tyan Thunder S2895 Mobo 4: AMD Dual-Core 270 Opteron processors 2: Asus 7800 GTX 512mb SLI Mode Graphics 8gb SDRAM 4200 1: Western Digital 500gb SATA-2 drives (for Win XP Pro 64FSX)3: Western Digital 250gb SATA-2 drives (for applications and backups)21 Viewsonic Creative Audigy 7.1 Surround Sound t2ki9.jpg

Hello Bert,Those are interesting results. It would seem that the Object Placement Tool will list all objects in libraries that are declared in the FS Scenery Library. So, you should see everything.I even have objects created in the old style (opcodes - SCASM) in my list, although they will not display in the tool, but will prevent it from working at all.Best regards.Luis

Guest bustervk

>I downloaded the free SS software, installed it, and within>minutes I completely populated a small airport with standard>FSX aircraft, trees, cars, trucks, lights, etc, and improved>this little local airport 100%...>>This is a sweet little gift of a program and works flawlessly>all within FSX...>ETCIt seems to be a miracle...!Can you please explain what the inages should tell us?RegardsBert

Guest bustervk

hi armchairpilot,Do you know how to find out which tectures belong to what library?One item that is not showing up in FSX is this terminal from this library: kb_EZ_terminals.bglguid: 7A8F502471AF41F19951D9A5754D243Aor is it using one of the general textures in FS9?ThanX in advance.Regards.Bert