Sign in to follow this  
arno

Time to begin conversion of FS9 scenery to FSX

OK have been out of action trying to optimize FSX and it is time to get back to scenery design again...Not sure what users are reporting as problems with FS9 scenery in FSX but I noticed that the main issue appears to be ground tearing which means default ground poking through the photoreal and AFW designed polygons.It appears that the main fix for this should be a flatten in the FSX 'language'. Is this done with the shp2vec tool? Is this contained in the FSX SDK? What else have you gurus figured out which could help in conversion of the sceneries?Thanks for any help.ShezP.S. Where is Arno?

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Greets Shez,Appreciate your scenery here in So Cal, as I get to see most of it on a regular basis IRL.The biggest factor in scenery conversion seems to do with that darn round earth thing in FSX. Flat airports don't translate well. Much has been addressed over at FSDeveloper and you'll find Arno there too! http://www.fsdeveloper.com/Lance

Hi Shez.Yes, the flattens of FSX conform to the curvature of the earth. So simple FS2000 flat planes, covered with a texture, no longer display correctly.If you could make a curved mesh slightly above the airport level ( one that accounts for the curvature of the earth ), and placed the images onto that, it should work. But poly counts would soar if you aren't careful.The earth curves about 8 inches per mile.Dick

Interesting. I read about the curved Earth issue but if the effect is only 2-3 feet over the usual airport length then that should not be a major problem. The fix would be raising the airport a few feet?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Question, can one use SBuilder to develop the ground textures in high resoultion for FSX? If not then which program is working?Shez

Shez Ansari

>P.S. Where is Arno?I'm still alive :). Just been a bit too busy lately and due to that I forgot to check this forum for far too long. Will try to visit more regularly from now on again.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog