Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

FSX Object Placement Tool-objects not appearing??

Guest cwright

Hello all, thanks for the comments on this problem. For me this problem is so gross that I can't believe it could have got through the testing, assuming it was tested with more than half a dozen objects. So the possibility does exist that it may be specific to my system.I would be grateful if any kind souls could do a quick test to see if they see the same problem. Here's a scenery file: http:www.kline.demon.co.uk/test_scenery.zip(the file is test_france_scenery.xml - I put it into a zip because, when I click on it, my browser immediately opens the xml file instead of offering to download the file)Try this simple test:1. Open a flight, preferebly in Europe (for the correct time zone) and open the tool.2. Click on LOAD SCENERY (not LOAD MISSION!) to load the file (test_france_scenery.xml).3. You should see about thirty buildings listed. Click in the list to select an object and then click on GOTO OBJECT. FSX will jump to the new location and load the scenery.You should see a bunch of about 30 object boxes. Look carefully: does every box have an object?Simply re-load the same file several times. Does the selection of non-displayed objects change?I would be most interested to see if anyone can duplicate this problem. It would be even more interesting if someone could definitely confirm that all the buildings appear correctly, every time. As I said, this is potentially a very useful tool but as it stands it is as useful as - well, as something that's not very useful!Many thanks.Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

George, thanks very much indeed! That certainly confirms it's a real problem.Just two questions:1. For the objects that don't show, do you still see the boxes?2. If you re-load the same scenery several times, does the result change? (I find that each time I re-load the scenery, it toggles between two distinct results).Many thanks.Best regards, Chris

Guest archtx

Chris:It appears to me that your scenery file did not make it thru the City Planning Department due to lack of parking. That's a lot of Stadiums, churches and offices in one place! Try adding a parking garage or two and see if that fixes it.

Guest cwright

Thanks - I'd never have thought of that!Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris,Yes, I do see the boxes in Object Placer, I see the same objects each time I load the scenery.George

Guest cwright

Bert, it's certainly not the most impressive piece of software I've used. Let's hope Microsoft will do something to fix it....Best regards, Chris

Guest velomaa

I'm having exactly the same problem as you guys. I made a simple scenery (10 objects or so) and saved it.When i restart the tool, i just see the boxes, sometimesone object shows. This problem actually got worse afteri installed the update for the SDK. I thought that it couldhave fixed something. I really don't understand how MS has released a toolwhich is this buggy!I guess that i have to wait until Flight1 releases the Instant Scenery.Ville

Guest cwright

Hi Ville, join the club! Your comment about the SDK update is interesting. I've applied the update. Funnily enough, I made a test mission several months ago, probably before the update. I added maybe a dozen objects and I don't recall this problem. But guess what - I loaded the mission into the tool today and, you guessed it, there were several missing objects. This problem could very well have occurred since the update. It should be possible to re-install the SDK into a different location. I think I'll give it a try. However, I did notice that the update hadn't changed the dll file.Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Ville, I just uninstalled, removed and re-installed the SDK, but no joy. It has exactly the same problem. Best regards, Chris

Guest bustervk

>Ville,> I just uninstalled, removed and re-installed the SDK, but no>joy. It has exactly the same problem. >>Best regards,> Chris>>hi Everybody,I did just the same as Chris did and no luck at all.It's definitly the Object Placement Tool that's wrong.RegardsBert

I believe Microsoft is aware of this issue, and would like to fix it. Their priority right now is optimizing FSX for performance, so I'm not sure (and they probably aren't either) when they can get to this (or anything else except performance!). Some users report that they are able to workaround the issues, although I don't know how.One obvious workaround: place objects in the traditional way, which will be made much easier when the new Flight1 tool becomes available.Jon

Guest cwright

Jon, that's interesting. As Microsoft are aware of the problem there's a good chance it will be fixed - eventually. Also interesting to hear there might be a workaround....Best regards, Chris

I am not sure what the priorities of Microsoft are regarding updates for FSX. Delaying fixes for one grand update leaves a lot of people "concerned". This has not been their pattern thus far with FSX.I wonder if the tool will be used by the Flight1 product via APIs??? In which case the concern increases. Given the similarity to the FS9 Abacus tool the code may have been in FS9 as well but not available via a GUI.Since this item is independent of the main program an update is not the major process it would otherwise be. Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest dexthom

I made an attempt with the tool, figuring this is sorta like theold Lago FSE. I managed to create a dock and some animated seagulls.I also managed to make a marina but then couldn't move it. I sortagave up on it. My venture into scenery creation is short lived!Regards,Dexter