Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

FSX Object Placement Tool-objects not appearing??

Dick, MS has been clear that FSX SP1 will be performance-focused. It's not the final update, as there is the DX10 version coming.And it looks like they may throw some other goodies into the bag, but I imagine performance improvement alone is a big effort.Jon

>>Using the FSX Objects Placement tool >I placed 9 objects in two steps. Placed 4 >and ran FSX and the objects appeared. >Then placed 3 more and they did not appear >after reload of FSX. Original 4 ok.>I have never used the Tool and I understand from reading the thread that the tool is buggy BUT, I also know that placing scenery objects by adding them long hand in XML does the exact same thing.This is not just a FSX problem but also occured under certain conditions in FS9.I wanted to add 15 animated default Jetways to an exsiting Terminal in FSX.I wrote the XML and placed the first 4 Jetways using TcalcX and when I started FSX they were exactly where I wanted them. I then shutdown FSX and added 5 more Jetways in my XML and compiled. Started FSX and they did not show up. I rechecked my XML code and restarted FSX and 4 out of the 5 showed up but the first 4 were now missing.I had run into this same type problem in FS9 and my testing back then showed that some same type objects when set to close to another type object would fail to appear. So I tested FSX and my Jetways. I lined up 10 Jetways spaced 100 ft apart down a 10,000 foot runway and they all showed up. I then moved them back to the Terminal Building and re-attached. Once again only the first 4 in the xml code showed up. Everytime I restarted FSX a different group of 4 up and down the Terminal showed but the others did not show. I then went to KMIA and added 15 new animated FSX Jetways to the new Concourse J (already in the FSX default scenery) and they all showed up ok.In FS9 I also encountered the same problem. If I put to many same type lift container GUID's close to the Cargo Terminal then each time I start FS9 only a certain amount would show.My final test showed me that if I used the same type scenery object many times and attached or set to close to another type unrelated scenery object I ran into problems. I also noticed that if I moved all those same type scenery objects and set them near another unrelated type object then they might appear ok.Many scenery objects in FSX are also FS9 scenery objects with a different but same scenery GUID number (binary). My original problem was trying to attach the new 15 animated Jetways to a Terminal Building in FSX that was the same one used in FS9. Like stated above, I could only get 4 to show up out of 15 so I pulled out of the proper bgl the Jetway mdl for that Terminal Building. It may not be known by many but, every single type FS9 Jetway mdl/texture is also in FSX even though it is not used. Once I attached the 15 FS9 Jetways to the FS9 Terminal Buiding that is used in FSX all 15 Jetways appeared. End result in all my test is that some of the same type scenery objects won't appear correctly (in numbers) but go somewhere else and they all show up.

Guest bustervk

>I believe Microsoft is aware of this issue, and would like to>fix it.ETC>JonAccording to Mr Bill Leaming at FlightSim.comFSXForumACES , FSX and Train Sim their is nothing wrong with the Object Placement Tool!Please read the thread here:http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...304&page=#18328"It would all be very amusing, except that it is not!"Kind regardsBert

Hi Folks> I have placed objects. > However, my problem is that once they are placed,> and I do a normal FSX session,> I cannot subsequently edit the objects with the mouse. Dick -I'd also had similar problems,but also after manually editing,the object sometimes moved unexpectedly.Just realised something related -you can reposition the object with the mouse without click-drag. ;-)Double click in the coords areathen just click the FS location you require.Object will jump to that location.Zoom in and repeat as required.HTHATBPaulhttp://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpg

Speculation and motive assignment depending on the individual's personality. No information from the vendor. Microsoft has chosen to not list the problems in FSX. Therefore we, who paid for the program, have no idea what will be in the update. I find this to be a poor practice dictated by misguided management.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>>Just realised something related ->you can reposition the object with the mouse without>click-drag. ;-)>>Double click in the coords area>then just click the FS location you require.>Object will jump to that location.>>Zoom in and repeat as required.>>HTH>ATB>Paul>Paul, this works like a charm - thx for the tip! I just moved a bunch of boats around.NigelVancouver

I hope I'm not mucking the water. Some of the problems I've read seem to be similar. There are a lot of objects in the file that simply don't appear. I get a cube, sometimes huge, sometimes just large but there is no item in the cube. Example: None of the animated birds appear. None of the aircraft in the "prop" category appear. I downloaded and read the PDF but it only covered some of the basic items.