Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

Scenery and exporting with GMAX

Guest reignman40

I have made alot of things for FS2004 with gmax but I am having trouble with exporting for FSX. Has anyone done this yet? The SDK doesn't really tell you how to export for gmax.

Guest doggieflyer

Within the SDK reference files (I won't call them help files because they're not entirely helpful) check out the "Using Modeling Tools" page. The section on Setup describes the FSX add-on to install on top of GMAX. Once done you can use File / Export to export as .mdl format.C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitModeling SDKUsing Modeling Tools.htmlNext review the "Compiling BGL" page to create an XML file containing a "SceneryObject" reference. After compiling the model you have a .bgl file to install in the FSX scenery addons folder.

Guest reignman40

After I export my model where do I find the GUID number? Is that what I put in this file then run it through the compiler?

Guest reignman40

I found my GUID in gmax but now I dont know what text file to put it in.

Guest hefy_jefy

Hi there,I feel your pain, I battled through this last night - the SDK is bit lacking when it comes to Gmax but plenty on 3Dmax (or whatever its called) and the Gmax help doesn't...Try this:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>In this case the MDL file was the one created by Gmax.Drag n'drop this onto bglcomp.exe and it should work. You will need to edit the position, model name and GUID of course...I am rather hoping that if I compile just the last bit the hanger can be placed using the Object Placement Tool.But I bet its not that easy, more coffee late nights needed.Geoff

Guest reignman40

Hmmm I am still cant get it to create the BGL. Here is the one I am trying. Anyone see any errors? What should my text doc be named? <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

Guest hefy_jefy

Sure looks OK to me.In the same folder you need these files:.mdl.xmlbglcomp.exebglcomp.xsdAlso I guess the last two need to be the correct versions from the FSX SDK (mine are dated 12/6/2006 and 11/16/2006 which seems odd)You can get a bit more info from bglcomp.exe like this:Instead of dragging and dropping, open a DOS window, (Start>Run, type in cmd and hit OK)Now it gets a little squirrely, to make things easy copy everything into a folder called C:Tmp then in the DOS box type:CdCD tmpbglcomp.exe .xmlBglcomp will run and should return a list of errors, might help figure out the problem.Incidentally I was able to compile just the last part of the .xml file:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>It created a .BGL file which has no position. I copied this the Addon SceneryScenery folder and the textures to Addon SceneryTextures folder. Now when I run the object placement toolI can see my new hangers (they have some funny numbers - dunno what that's about) and I can place them where I want.Geoff

Guest reignman40

When I export my model is it supposed to create the xml file? If not how do I make an XML file? Sorry for all the questions. I guess Im not handling the modeling transition from FS9 to FSX very well.

"When I export my model is it supposed to create the xml file"My understanding of this is that there is not even a template .xml generated from GMAXYou would have to use one of the examples above and change the values including the GUID for each model you make.Tas

To clarify this somewhat GMAX2004 use to generate the .mdl and a template similar to below including a new GUID for each new .mdl<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>GMAX FSX only exports the .mdl.It is enough to drive a person to drink.Tas

Guest hefy_jefy

I agree, I am able to get this to work but it seems like a backward and more complicated step to me.In fact, each Gmax/FS upgrade from FS200 on has become more difficult to understand or maybe I am getting dumber.Never mind, the scenery DOES look much better in FSX...My question is (I am sure the answer is buried in the SDK somewhere)How to do turn on night maps? (LM textures)Geoff

Guest reignman40

I did some more searching and now I can get my scenery in FSX. Here is how I found out how to get the night textures to work. When you map it in GMAX put you day (normal) texture in the Diffuse as normal. (In FS2004 you would use the Ambient for the _LM texture) Now you must use the Self-Illumination in the maps rollout for the _LM textures. Like this:http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/116/gmaxpreviewxp3.png

Guest hefy_jefy

Haha!Yes, I found this out also, and now new Gmax objects work OK.But, can you make it work for an old Gmax project created with a previous Gmax game pack (FS2002) that was the version where you checked the box "has night map"? so far no luck at all on that front. Everything else seems OK, the normal textures work fine.I guess I have to go back and create those objects again..Geoff