Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gator40019

no .x in gmax export

Guest Gator40019

Hello all,I am also starting to get into scenery after a long absence. I have installed Gmax to my e: drive e:gmax. The SDK and sp1 have been installed toE:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKI have pointed the path to the plugins which are located in the gamepack dir.My Question is why do I not have the option of exporting to the .x format? I have cloud and mdl but no .x.Kinda driving me nuts. What am I missing in the sdk instructions?and yes .net v2 is installed

Hello Steve,The publisher will not authorize the export of x files from GMax, so Microsoft was not allowed to include this in the game pack.Perhaps this is so as not to compete with 3D Studio Max, but that is just speculation on my part.Best regards.Luis

Guest Gator40019

Luis,Thanks for the reply. What a way to kill a hobby. Make it cost $3,000.Guess I'll stick to fs9 scenery, unless there are other options I am missing.

The sdk was badly written. It suggests that the export for gmax is the same as for 3dsmax, but it isn't. the xtomdl tool is NOT used to export gmax.Just install per the gamepack instructions, and export from gmax. you'll get a mdl file. Now compile an xml file using bglcomp calling the mdl file.You'll need to assign guid, using the guid tool.No x file output or intput.Bob

Guest Gator40019

Thanks Bob,Yes, I did read as if gmax=3ds. What prompted the search for an x solution was error output when exporting to mdl. I will be researching a solution now that I am clear on the 'x'file. I will look for solutions before boring anyone with the output errors.Thanks,Steve