Sign in to follow this  
Guest nearlucid

Help me with Custom Objects in FSX

Guest nearlucid

Hello I have made an object in 3DS max and tried to add it to FSX but I can't find it anywhere. (on land or in Object Tool)Can someone help?I would like to know the best way to use my 3ds max objects in FSX?I have Rwy12 working and the sdk tool working, so I can place objects, just not my own.I have tried librarycreatorXml and LOM 2 but still can't see my object.I have the 3ds X. plugin and the Photoshop DDS and Nvidia plugs.I have copied the new bglcomp.exe to replace old exe'sI have guidgen and clicked it a dozen times before taking the id.Any suggestions please???**I have attached the .xml .x .mdl in a zip at bottom!This is my first post, I got FSX for X-mas and have spent more time infront of the SDK documents than behind the Yoke, I have managed to finally got my FPS up to 30 avg. on "30 target" and soon after turned to the great threads and articles on Difficult Approaches around the globe.Using Google Earth to draw out Poly's and then through -FSX KML--I have been sucessful in adding some missing elements in FSX around my hometown, I have excluded trees around my property and made a grass area to put my house.-I have created my driveway and a few missing roads around my house.-I have also added a fair size lake that M$oft missed.Now I would like to place models of my home and town structures.**I have attached the .xml .x .mdl in a zip at bottom!My specs.intel Core 2 - 6600 2.4GHz - 2 Gig Ram - XP.SP2FSX Deluxe - all sdk dll's enabled and workingI have updated the SDK to sp1. I have FSUIPC 4 *not regisered*Thanks and great site. **** <-- 4 star!**http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166189.zip

Hi,The easiest way to place your object at the moment is probably with the XML code. The XML file in your ZIP was almost correct, only the placement was still commented out. Try this code, that should place the object at the given lat/lon:[tt]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>[/tt]If you want to do the placement with the Mission Object Placement tool you need to make a library BGL of your object (so compiling an XML with only ModelData commands and no placement). You could use Library Creator XML (version 2.0 alpha) for that. If you then place this BGL in an active scenery folder, the object should show up in the Object Placement tool. But it will show up with its GUID at the top of the list, not with a friendly name.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest nearlucid

Thank you Arno. I will try that out and post of my progress.I will also look at my original xml against yours and see what I had done wrong.One question, in removing the Placement"compiling an XML with only ModelData commands and no placement"should I remove this whole line:or just the values like this? or something else?I appreciate your help.in this and previous matters.Dave

Guest nearlucid

So I finally have a custom object in FSX.Yay I fly around it with joy, but wait... I can't fly through it. what the heck?(you see my object has a hole in it, as I wanted to see how fsx handled the boolean hole.. Guess I'll have to look futher into scenery holes. I am frustrated with the inability to fly under brodges and between radio towers ontop of hirises.? any suggestions on that?)As you can see my object appears and it's a great feeling, now I can create and place my house and other things I miss on the terrain.Thanks arno. Now I need to figure out this library thing.here is the code I used to get the object into place.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>I removed all of the comments to make it easier to see what's really coded.Now I'd like to make this object available through either rwy12 or object place sdk?So in order to compile a library for FSX I have to edit the above xml text to exclude the placement info like this: ?Correct???<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>then compile the .xml (+.mdl) into a .bgl and open the bgl in LOM 2.0 or does the .bgl go straight into the addon scenery folder?(right now I have "send to" short cuts assigned to compile: 1. scenery from .x 2. aircraft from .x 3. xml + mdl to bgl)a neat peice of code I saw somewhere. so I don't actually type out the compiles?Where does LOM 2.0 come into play?I see that in it you can export to a nuber of different sources from a number of different sources. what are the targets?I see it has BGL inportsbut I also am asked for a MDL when I click "create library" from the sectionI will look into this further on the forum as 1/2 my initial question has been answered, thanks again for your help. another hurdle passed.Onward and upward.Dave

Hi Dave,I don't use LOM myself, so I can tell you where it comes into play. As usually there are different ways to reach the end goal.What I do is create a library with XML (or using my own Library Creator XML tool). The XML code you showed above it correct, it only needs the ModelData command. Of course you can put multiple MDL files in the same library.Once you have compiled the library into a BGL file, you are ready to use it. Just put it in an active scenery folder. Once you have done that, you will see that your objects become available in the mission Object Placement tool of FsX. Unfortunately they do not show a friendly name (yet), but you will find them listed with their GUID at the top of the list. Now you can select them and place them in the scenery. After you are done placing, you use the "Save scenery" button to save the XML code of the placement and compile that to a BGL again with BGLComp. Then you have your scenery :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest nearlucid

Great thanks for your help.Are crash boxes visible on these objects in FSX.I have seen boxes surrounding itens in FSX when using the SDK tool, are these the crash boxes or just boundary boxes for the item?Great I'm off to try out the library.I have been having fun with this custom objects, but am stuck on trying to make this hole in the wall, from this thread,http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...7&mesg_id=33827As you know.Thanks again for your time.Dave

Hi Dave,As far as I know the boxes the Object Placement tool shows are only the bounding box, not the crash box.

Arno

Guest nearlucid

Hi Arno if you are still listening, I have not been able to get a custom object to appear in my FSX object placement, I do understand the entire process of saving via the object placer, and conversion... But I can't for the life of me get my custom objects to appear in the list.You mentioned your tool that you use, is that available to the public?Any suggestions. zipped are the files in question I'm using.cheers dave.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166347.zip

Hi Dave,I just added the BGL library from the ZIP file you attached to my FsX and then the object does appear in the list of available scenery objects. It is listed with the following GUID:06F12DCCDh, 041067922h, 0E749ACB7h, 0B374A459hSo it seems your library file is fine, nothing wrong with that. Are you sure you placed it in an active scenery folder?

Arno

Guest nearlucid

ArnoThanks for checkingWow that is real weird.I know my folder is active, if I add a placement bgl it shows up in the scene.Any idea what makes it adapt a new guid. I have searched all my guid's at the top of the list, as well I saw some guid's labeled "autogenerated" and it wasn't there either.how in all those guid's did you manage to find the new entry? did you scroll through all of them till it showed?thanks for the help. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.the bgl is independant right? once compiled?or do other files mdl or xml come into play in libraries?I noticed while scrolling through the objects, that at some point they start to not show up?I found the best way to get them back is to click the cancel button beside "ADD" and then select scenery and the guid and they should be back.have you noticed this?Still no idea what i'm doing wrong?hmmmm

Hi,>how in all those guid's did you manage to find the new entry?>did you scroll through all of them till it showed?I was lazy and only loaded your library BGL :), so in that case only one object showed with its GUID (all default objects show by name). That is why I know for sure that the library is working. The GUIDs are listed alphabetically, so you should be able to find it quite easy if you know which one to look for (that is also why I posted the GUID in my message).>the bgl is independant right? once compiled?>or do other files mdl or xml come into play in libraries?Yes, you only need the BGL file in FS. The XML and MDL files are only required to generate this BGL. FS can not do anything with them directly.

Arno

Guest nearlucid

Thanks Anro.I guess by the time I got into the object tool in FSX I had already added a bunch of scenery. Because I have a ton of unfriendly guid's at the top of the list. So FSX ships with all friendly names?I didn't know that. So I will try unloading all of my add-on scenery and see if that helps me locate the new library or at least trouble shoot the problem.thanks for your thoughts.dave

Guest nearlucid

Great!Arno that's it, I unloaded (unchecked) all of my addon scenery in the scenery library. loaded up fsx and all I saw were friendly GUID's.Then I created a new addon folder. and voila only one GUID, My Object!You were a great helpI learned in the process, that if you want to add another folder as an addon folder, that it MUST have a sub-directory names "scenery" within it or FSX will not allow the addition.)I was usin the default one. but now have two one for all my own goodies.Thanks again for the help.Now onto my crashbox dilema.Post out!DavePS-I will write out a Tutorial of what i've learned and post it hereor the next person that has this trouble.gimme a week.

I am trying to deal with a problem that really only surfaces with ESP and not FSX due to the fact that the harcoded default for an FSX.CFG (ESP.cfg) variable called "MissingLibraryAlert" is set to 1 and cannot be changed. This causes scenery that has any missing GUIDs - seems to happen frquently - to cause a popup message that temporarily stops the flight sim. One solution is to build a few simple objects into a BGL where they have these predetermined GUIDs - the ones that are missing. I have tried to utilized ModelConverterX to generate a MDL with that GUID, generate a simple XML file, but when I compile with BGLComp in the SDK, I don't end up with the needed GUID. Any ideas?ThanksDave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Don't know but I do know in MCX general settings the GUID can be displayed in either FS9 or FSX style, so I would check that it is set to FSX, then open your bgl file in MCX and double check that the guid is as expected.scott s..