Sign in to follow this  
Guest nearlucid

Help on FSX Crash Boxes in 3DS

Guest nearlucid

Hi Thaks to this site and Arno I now have a custom 3d object in FSX.In my test object I created a box and used a boolean cutout with a pole.The result was a box with a hole though it.I then applied my texture and voila, a brick wall with a hole in it.Now I guess fsx won't allow me to fly through the hole without crashing,but through the plug-in's for 3DS I can turn off crash detection for certain objects in a scene. So I can fly through the hole but when I make a mistake I just clip through the object, no crash. So Can someone make a suggestion as to how I can make a hole to fly through? with a wall I can hit and crash?So far I have tried numerous options,I have tried setting boxes just behind the wall but it seems that when two objects are within a certain distance of each other the crash detection boxes cross paths? does anyone know much about the detection boxes?Can I see them somehow in 3DS?Or in FSX? Right now I am designing a scene and exporting multiple objects at a time in the same .X to try different options.I have tried spacing tubes, boxes and spheres a certain distances. but fail to find anything I can create a circular tube that I can visualize flying through.Any help would be great.I am looking to make a fictional series of tubes to fly through, Maybe through a tunnel in a mountain or underground, Is this going to be possible, with crash detection.Also I have seen the error: Index Buffer Exceeds Maximum Sizeanyone know what this means, the file ran fine.thanksDavehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166267.jpg

Hi Dave,I think it is quite hard to make such a detailed crash detection. I have not fully tested it with FsX, but the Fs2004 exporter tools did not do a very good job on making the crash detection very detailed (and I guess most people don't want that either, as it costs performance as well).I know some people made tools for Fs2004 that allowed you to make better crash detection. But I am not aware of such tools being there for FsX already. Also, I don't know if these tools can really cope with a hole like the one your have here.About the index buffer error, I guess that can happen if you have a lot of polygons with the same material applied to it (and with a lot I mean something like 16000). Is your object that complex?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest nearlucid

Thanks arno, Yes this is a long uphill battle, I can see.I read all the info from the one guys very technical description athttp://www.mzak.cz/fs/fsbox/index.php?enBut wasn't sure if it applied to FSX.It seems like when two objects are placed in close proximity to each other the crash box spans the gap between the two.I have tried making an object, and removing the crash detection.then placing smaller objects within the first, placed just behind the mesh and making those (hidden) objects crash active.(no luck)the large space seems to fill and cause a crash, no matter what the configuaration.I tried making a tunnel out of a flatbox mesh, (bend)and it seems that as soon as an arch is created the crash boundry spans that acrh.so if you had a shape like a " C " the inside white space would be filled by the two pertruding points. Does that make sense? I tried several configuarations, In the Game there is an object that is a FireRing.which looks to achieve what I want. However it is grouped with bandstands, and is on fire, which I'm sure would lag the game if I tried to create a obstacle course with them.Right now I am looking at creating a pipe with a hole through it, then taking the crash detection off the pipe and using spheres grouped in a circular formation around the pipe and down the lenght of the pipe.these balls will act as crash detection points. But as I said before the objects when grouped together fill in empty spaces, but I'm hoping that by exporting each spere with another object placed as a common reference point, I can create a tunnel of points that will each have it's own crash detection down the length and around the pipe,Problem is I figure each of these balls has to be in it's own BGL or they will, as said, fill in the gaps within each other.This is a theory and as of yet I have not had the time to checkout.But time will tell.I would like to know how the Redbull Fire Ring was put together though. Maybe I need to start picking through those bgl's.Can much be learned from the games bgl's or other files?Thanks for listening.Dave

Guest nearlucid

Sorry Arno, To answer your Q.I was exporting multiple objects in a scene to test different configs of placements, so I was dealing with multiple objects, therefore multiple verticies.Dave