Sign in to follow this  
KalaK

Help needed with Global Mapper

HiI have now a terrain working in Global Mapper. When I open it in Global Mapper the terrain is visualized finein 3D.But now I'm stucked.I would like to make this Global Mapper to a format for Flight Simulator X.Do anyone know how to make Global Mapper file useable in FSX?Any tutorial ?Greetings,Ulrik M.

Hi Ulrik,quite simple, actually.Export your raster elevation data as BIL (Elevation - 2 bytes), which is a 16-bit format that resample.exe accepts. At the same time, copy from the export window the relevant data (Sample Spacing, rows, columns, and NW corner coordinates) into an .inf file made with Wordpad like the one below. Then drag the inf file onto Resample.exe. Also, make sure to read the Terrain SDK for FSX to understand the other parameters in the inf, like UseSourceDimensions, CompressionQuality and MultiLOD, and don't forget to adjust the SourceDir and DestDir entries according to your own folder setup.[source]Type = RawLayer = ElevationSourceDir = "SourceData"SourceFile = "TF_mesh_final_PoW_1arcsec.bil"ulxMap = -135.000139ulyMap = 56.700139nCols = 10433nRows = 7915xDim = 0.000278yDim = 0.000278NullValue = -9999BandLayout = BILByteOrder = IntelnBands = 1SampleType = SINT16[Destination]DestDir = "Output"DestBaseFileName = "mesh_multiLOD_Tongass_Fjords_PoW"DestFileType = BGLUseSourceDimensions = 1CompressionQuality = 99LOD = 4,10One you have a compiled bgl file use the TMFViewer utility to check it for any potential issues.Cheers, Holger

Me again,one more tip. It's best to use the "Global Projection" coordinates from the "Export Bounds" tab for the North and West corner coordinates; simply copy and paste.Cheers, Holger

Hi HolgerThanks for your instructions. I'll try them out.By the way, is it possible to export the ground texture I have in GM aswell ?

Hi againWhen I ry to resample with this inf file:[source]Type = RawLayer = ElevationSourceDir = "SOURCE"SourceFile = "testx.bil"ulxMap = 380051.315152306ulyMap = 7429208.96492725nCols = 19382nRows = 11692xDim = 0.293556024668yDim = 0.293556024668NullValue = -9999BandLayout = BILByteOrder = IntelnBands = 1SampleType = SINT16[Destination]DestDir = "OUTPUT"DestBaseFileName = "TestX"DestFileType = BGLUseSourceDimensions = 1CompressionQuality = 99LOD = 4,10When I run the resample I get this:Microsoft Corp. Terrain Resampler 10.0.60905.0Copyright © 1995-2006 Microsoft Corp.Resample Info File: 'testx.inf'[source] Type = 'Raw'[source] Type = 'Raw'[source] SourceDir = 'SOURCE'[source] SourceFile = 'testx.bil'[source] Layer = 'Elevation'[source] SampleType = 'SINT16'[source] ByteOrder = 'Intel'[source] nBands = 1[source] NullValue = '-9999'[source] ULXMAP = 380051.315152[source] ULYMAP = 7429208.964927[source] NCOLS = 19382[source] NROWS = 11692[source] XDIM = 0.293556[source] YDIM = 0.293556[Destination] DestDir = 'OUTPUT'[Destination] DestBaseFileName = 'TestX'[Destination] LOD = '4,10'[Destination] DestFileType = 'BGL'[Destination] UseSourceDimensions = 1[Destination] CompressionQuality = 99Elapsed time: 00:00:00Compression statistics:Totals:Blocks: 0Resample completed successfully.No bgl is created. The folders and the bil file is there.Anyone have an idea what I should correct ?KalaKwww.kalak-flightsim.com

Your source data appear to be projected, or else are in arcseconds.ulxMap = 380051.315152306ulyMap = 7429208.96492725ULXMAP must be between -179.9 and 180ULYMAP must be between -90 and 90.In Global Mapper configuration tool, open projection tab and ensure projection is "Geographic", Datum is "WGS84" and units are "Arcdegree".When you do your export, check that the global projection shown on the export bounds tab is in fact arc degrees.Note that if you use GeoTiff 16 bit elevation, uou don't have to copy the geo location data into your inf file.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166582.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166583.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166584.jpgscott s..

Thank you very much.With your great help I manage to make a BIL export and resample it to FSX.But when I try to resample the GEOTIFF export (followed) again your example, then I get this error:"Unable to open data source..."Have checked it over and over again. The folder name and the file name are correct in the inf file.Thanks again !KalaKwww.kalak-flightsim.com

Here is my inf file:[source]Type = GeoTIFFSourceDir = "d:DataSOURCE"SourceFile = "TestX.tif"Layer = ImageryVariation = All[Destination]DestDir = "d:DataOUTPUT"DestBaseFileName = "TestX_01"DestFileType = BGLLOD = 16KalaKwww.kalak-flightsim.com

You are trying to do elevation mesh, not photo scenery, right?It should look like:[source]Type = GeoTIFFSourceDir = "d:DataSOURCE"SourceFile = "TestX.tif"Layer = Elevation[Destination]DestDir = "d:DataOUTPUT"DestBaseFileName = "TestX_01"DestFileType = BGLLOD = 16Note: LOD 16 would be a resample at 0.6 meter. Is that really what you want? I have never seen any mesh like this so don't know what it would look like, but it would have to be a pretty big file I would think. I've never seen any mesh higher than LOD 12.scott s..

Hi againI have the elevation (mesh) done (BIL export). And now I'm trying to have the photo groundtexture to my mesh.KalaKwww.kalak-flightsim.com