Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

Designer Friendly Installation of FSX, Can it be done?

Guest nearlucid

Would it be possible to create an installation of FSX where only a white mesh was rendered and with No objects or Autogen, This would allow me and other users of 3rd party software to load up and check out how our Custom objects or Models appear in FSX; without the wait time.I would like to have the game load up to a location where I could test my objects, with or without a plane maybe to see how the object looks or to see how the plane reacs to the object...Right now I have Batch files that modify the dll.xml to load 1 of 3 different configurations depending on weather I'm using the SDK or FSUIPC, Perhaps some other CFG. files could be stripped of their commands to allow fsx to load up faster when flying around isn't as much of an issue. can anyone suggest where to start on this.Thankshappy flyingDave

Hi Dave.If you want just a white scenery, and all-ice landclass ( value 122 ) is possible. I don't believe it will speed loading, but it does "clarify" the landscape for viewing development. Dirt is another idea ( value 131 ).A saved FLT file can be used to load to a specific location and weather setting. Double-click on the saved FLT, and FSX will load to that location, with the specified weather and aircraft. Flights>>Save menu.A display CFG file can be saved with all options turned down. I believe the sim "remembers" the last display CFG settings, so reloads are faster. Options>>Settings>>Save menu.Dick

Guest nearlucid

Hi Dick, Yes that answers some of my questions.I am going to try it out, I assume that having only those libraries, required by the game, loaded will hopefully speed up the load.And yes Ice landclass is a great idea to clarify the background. maybe a custom landclass bitmap (in white or light blue) reduced to the smallest acceptable size would help. (don't know yet how to do that either)And currently I do have the game set up (when designing) to jump on startup right to where my test objects are, By saving a Default flight and deselecting the Startup screen option.But still the load is rather time consuming. considering all those bells (FSX objects) and whistles (all that other crap)Don't need to be there while I'm not flying around.Any leads as to what files can be excluded and what modifications can be made will surely help me in this endeavour.Thanks for your comments and help. I will continue post of my journey into this.Dave

Guest EdrickV

Just a thought, but you might be able to create an FSX shortcut that loads an alternative FSX.cfg with minimal detail settings. (And maybe even a subset of aircraft to help loading times.) Assuming FSX accepts the same command line option that FS9 does for that. I forget the actual command line argument, but it should be in the forums here and I think on one or more of the FSX team blogs.Edit: Oops, didn't realize how old this thread was. :(*"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."