Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Scenery design programs for FSX?

Guest jmorillo

Scenery design programs for FSX. What [scenery designing programs] are available that at the same time are/is compatible for [airport designing] for FSX?

Have a look at fsdeveloper.com scenery forums. Status of most utility development is actively discussed there.scott s..

Also, want kind of scenery do you want to design for FsX? The tools really differ for making mesh scenery or an airport.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I'll jump in here... I too am looking for a FSX tool for some design purposes.I started in FS2004 using Airport to draw VTP (?) polygons over the standard terrain. I'm looking to carry on (or restart if need be) this project in FSX.I'm drawing polygons over terrain much like Ultimate Terrain adds in lakes and ponds, except my goal is to draw in the clearings and trails of New England ski areas. :)My former girlfriend is a pilot based out of NH69 in New Hampshire, and when I've was flying with him, I noticed that in the summer, the ski areas are distinctive landmarks - I can only imagine that in the winter they are even more distinctive to the flying environment.Whatever tool I'd use would have to be able to let me trace over projection-corrected satellite, much like Airport did. Any suitable tools for this in the FSX realm? (Visiting the FSDev site now)-Greg

Guest jmorillo

I would like to design an airport plus work on the terrain-city area as well too.

Hi Greg:I have used Ground2k4 successfully on a project involving an area with some ski trails, and would suggest exploring the idea of layering 2 types of LWM (FS Terrain SDK Land Water Mask) "ground" textures to create the ski trails and clearings amongst surrounding trees.The base LWM land polygon could be your ski trails and clearings, and then you would simply add on top another LWM land polygon (with included/associated autogen trees etc.) to create the interspersed and surrounding forested areas. By choosing the proper type of LWM land "base" textures in Ground2k, the associated autogen can be kept free of trees without using specialized excludes generated by a 3rd party utility.Isolated trails could be VTP vector lines which with the desired texture would also be assignable to a desired width, and would not have trees on them.Ground2k4 certainly isn't the only program which can do this, however it is fairly easy to use, and Luis Feliz Tirado wrote a very nice Tutorial for it which is available as a separate download.Generally speaking, most "FS2004 compatible" scenery files can be used in FSX.Hope this helps!:-) GaryGB