Sign in to follow this  
GaryGB

FS Default Object Libraries

Guest JSonAVSIM

To the Flight Sim Community, Although I have been enjoying Flight Simulator since the Amiga days, I have only recently started to design my own scenery. As I do not own the latest Cray super-computers that Microsoft uses, I am concentrating only on the newer XML and GMAX based scenery objects. In this vein I have been reusing many of the FS2004 default components to help insure a low frame-rate impact. It's surprising what you can do by changing the scale or elevation of an object. Unfortunately, most of the default libraries are limited to specific geographical areas and it's very inconvenient to have to keep de- and re-compiling the BGLs to get the needed objects. To this end I have been experimenting with the default Bgls and have found that by stripping them down to the model GUIs and re-compiling them to their original directories you can have unfettered access to all the objects. Another advantage to this method is that you don't need to make extra copies of the texture files thus saving disk space. The reason I am writing you today is that I feel inclined to upload these files for general use. Or perhaps it would be better simply to upload the instructions for doing so? My concern is the naming of the files. As this is just the kind of thing that may be downloaded-renamed-edited-uploaded-again I am concerned that this will just add to the load of duplicate/unnecesary object libraries already filling our Flight Sim sites and hard drives. Right now I have renamed the default files: EZ_Default_Paris.bgl EZ_Default_Tokyo.bgl EZ_Default_NewYork.bgland so on for all the default libraries. I chose these names becuase I happen to use EZ Scenery and it made the libraries easier to find. Because the name of a BGL library is the key to having the items show up, I would like to get some opinions about this and perhaps start a discussion about some general guidelines that you think would help the community. With more and more people creating sceneries we have some terrific things available but there is also a tragic amount of duplicated work. I don't want to add to that so any suggestions or comments are most welcome. If you got all the way through this then an extra thank you!

Hi,First of all, I would not upload changed default MS files, unless there is a very big urge to do so. For me the geo-locking would not fall in that category.And if you decide to upload the changed default library and I assume you haven't changed the GUID of the default object, you should always upload them with the same name. If you have multiple library, with the same GUID defined in them, you are never sure from which library the object will be chosen.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello:Are you familar with the FS scenery object/scenery library work being done by "scruffyduck" Jon Masterson?If not check out these links:http://www.scruffyduck.co.uk/scenery/lom_downloads.htmlhttp://www.scruffyduck.co.uk/scenery/beta_releases.htmlhttp://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82Also, it will be interesting to see what Konstantin Kukushkin will do to enhance the features of his EZ-Scenery (for live object placement use in an FS2004 flight) with the release of his new Flight1 product for live placement use in an FSX flight (not through Abacus for this one!).It will be entitled "Instant Scenery":http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/no...06/fone1216.htmAnd of course we are also hoping Arno and his elite cadre of FS wizards in the "think tank" over on FSDEVELOPER.COM will come up with the ultimate FSX scenery utility in the near future too! ;-) Hope this helps!GaryGBGaryGB:-)