Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

Annoying black outlines...in FSX, not in FS9

Guest JohnC

I designed a custom tower textured with a standard bitmap.It has DXT1 with alpha textures, produced with DXTBMP.In FS9 it looks great. In FSX it has a black single pixel? outline where the alpha mask changes from black to white.FSX treats all my GMAX DXT1 with alpha stuff like this but not their own towers. I am going to try their textures when I can find them. I use DirectX9.0c.I saw a 2004 post by rhumbaflappy to Holger blurring some edges and using imagetool. I have a different idea that perhaps some DirectX setting or something else is whacked, because the towers look perfect in FS9.Anyone else have this problem? My search for DXT1 black outline only found the one post.

Hi John,This is a known bug in FsX. Hopefully MS can solve this in the coming update. For now a work around would be to use DXT3 textures, they don't have this problem.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JohnC

Arno, I truly appreciate the time you take to help us all.

Have you tried the FSX gamepack? I admit I haven't tried this, although I have had the same problem with my current project's trees. The only reason why I didn't get around to experimenting with the FSX gamepack is that I need to use Arno's MDL Tweaker with these.But I did think that creating a FSX material may make a difference?Robin Corn, Godzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

Hi Robin,That is a good point. Most tests I have done are with the old gamepack as well. I should try to verify if the new gamepack helps. But it seems to be a texture related problem, not really a model related one. I'll come back on this one.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest JohnC

Uh uh, I don't think it's just a gamepack issue, because another problem appears on generic structures.I switched to DXT3 and sure enough the black outline went away...but if you push a plane directly around behind one of those MicroSoft generic towers made to "see thru" you will see that you cannot see the plane beyond (locked spot) if it is quite close to the tower. This is indeed quite a bug that appears on Microsoft generic towers as well (not just mine made which I made with the old gamepack). To be fair, I rarely fly behind towers in spot mode ....but still...

That transparancy problem is a different issue, related to the drawing order. It is know what with DXT1 textures this order is fixed automatically. Sometime ago we had a good discussion about this subject, I'll try to find the link to it.I just hope the DXT1 problem gets solved soon, as using DXT1 textures is very useful in general.

Arno

Guest JohnC

So we really have two (FSX only) new problems...use DXT1 on a GMAX structure you need to see thru and you get annoying black lines....switch to DXT3 and some close in items are simply not visible, and the appearance is not very attractive. The towers that appear in my home area of Burlington Vermont are generic MicroSoft structures, and they exhibit the same problem my own GMAX towers do.