Sign in to follow this  
Guest Knikolaes

Airport beacons - non functional?

Guest Knikolaes

Okay, at every towered airport in the world, in FS, I have airport beacons that work. yet when I add beacons using EXZ Scenery, they are there, but they don't work. No light, no rotation -- nada. I also tried "EZ Scenery Airport Beacon Towers" from Avsim, and also the default beacon towers available in FS.Now I noticed the default beacon towers from FS itself are just the towers, and that the lights are seperate elements, NOT part of the tower. Okay -- no problem, but even when using those they do NOT animate.So my question is this: Is there ANY add-on beacons out there that actually animate and work at night? As a VFR private pilot, I know the importance of using the beacon to gain airport direction. It'd be helpful if they could function in FS as well.

Guest Knikolaes

Followup:I forgot to add above that I did find MULTIPLE threads here in the forum stating that to make the beacons rotate you have to "edit the XML file for the object". Please note that EZ-Scenery does NOT use XML at all and the only files in my scenery folder are BGL, not XML, so I need an alternate solution besides this.Thank you.

Guest Knikolaes

Nevermind -- found what i needed via rotating_beacon.zip via AVSIM. Many Thanks to David "Opa" Marshall via another thread here in the forum for this lead. I overlooked it when i was doing my initial scan of the posts for adding animated beacons to FS (so much info here! Overwhelming sometimes.)

Thx for the info - I have managed to put this beacon inside an FSX default lighthouse, change its scale until the beacon light lines up with the lighthouse window - looks good!NigelVancouver

Guest Knikolaes

Yeah what got me started on this was creating a 2-step detailed FS9 scenery for Pueblo, CO (KPUB). The first stage is almst complete, which is a current represenation of the airport including DOSS Aviation (Of COURSE we got the contract - WE ROCK!!! -- eat your heart out, Atlanta :-P ) and traffic. The chalenging part of the AI traffic is GA -- going for total reaslism based on the FAA registry of al aircraft currently listed as based at KPUB. I go to flight school here at KPUB through Pueblo Community College, so I have our fleet of training aircraft doing local patterns while I have all of the other GA aircraft doing their last 7 (week's worth for AI flight planning) routes based on information from Flightaware.The next stage will be based on blueprints I managed to get my claws on for the new runway to be built for GA (so we'll have 2 GA runways :-) ) and new taxiway for 35/17. THAT's going to be the easy part.Chris