Sign in to follow this  
arno

Stolen scenery work

Guest jlwoodward

Hello,I had created several sceneries for FS2004, such as Lake Hood and the Mobile Bay area, and recently started updating them for FSX. Mostly this involved deleting roads and trees which no longer worked, and moving buildings around to get a better fit. However, one of our upstanding citizens broke into my house and stole the computer.I don't know if it is possible to do this, but if I download the original sceneries, can the objects be retrieved from the bgl file, moved, and then recompiled? The textures, I assume, would still be useable. Originally I used FSDS2 and Airport, so I'm not up on the current techniques or what programs are being used now.Thanks

Hi John:Very sorry to hear about your system being stolen. I have greatly appreciated your work over the years, and hope we may continue to see updated versions of your sceneries and aircraft (I've done a lot of flying in a Lake Amphibian in real life... thanks so much for the Renegade series!). ;-) If you don't receive a reply here, may I also suggest posting in the forums at fsdeveloper.com, and I'd be willing to bet that Arno, Rhumbaflappy or others there may be able to give you, as a fellow developer recovering his OWN material, a more definitive answer (at least by private E-Mail) on how this might possibly be done to save starting completely over in FSDS or G-Max.Best wishes for continued success with your FS creations; please keep us posted on how your projects are coming along in the future! :-)GaryGB

That's unfortunate indeed. As wisely pointed the experts at FSDeveloper will give you lots of guidance, but there are decompilers that may be able to extract your models. You won;t be able to edit them, but you may be able to move them.And this may be an opportunity for you to create something new. Much has changed now, and conversion to FSX, if that's what you want can be a chore for some scenery. The tools are good, there's lots of support and so consider that it may be easier and more fun to start over...Good luck!Jon

Hi,But the experts also hang around here :D.If all you want to do is move some objects, then that should be possible by decompiling your BGL files. In the SCASM code you then get, you can enter the correct coordinates. After that you can compile it back to a BGL with SCASM.But this would mean that you have to do some tweaking in the text file. It is not really possible to import your objects back into a GUI tool.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog