Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard Hill

Photo Scenery Maker for FSX

Guest Richard Hill

Has anyone had any sucess with Takuya Murakami's Photo Scenery Maker for FSX? If it works probably, someone with knowledge of Japanese could produce some detailed documentation in using the program and help in finding answers to problems.Richard;

Guest jsvw2001

Why do you want to use PSM? Rather use the correct FSX method, it is described in detail in the Terrain and Scenery SDK (Terrain and Secenery.html). It is very easy to do, just follow the examples.Johan

Guest Richard Hill

Johan;Either my brain is going with my old age or something is missing. I didn't find nothing detailed. There was some mention on the Millenium example, but I did not get it. I have converted many of my photographs to 1.19 meter to pixel 24 BIT immages. I have the coordinates for all immages, pasted for example KCKB into a 3x5 merged photo 30,000 x 50,000 feet. But realy dont know what to do with them. Wouldn't it be be better to to have a photo of the entire airport area rather than each individual photo? I am sure once I get the understanding of making one file I could have photo scenery of every airport, and other points of interest.If willing, I can leave my email, and send a CD with photo example and coordinates. Then you could give me the steps involved.Richard;

Hi Richard,It does not really matter if you have seperate images or one big image. Resample can combine multiple ones into one BGL file, as long as you provide the geo information for each of them.The best examples from the SDK are the INF files in the Resample examples folder. They give you a good indication of what you can do with the tool.But the most important thing when using images is to make sure they are in the correct projection. FS assumes that all images you are using are in the WGS84 projection. If not, that could lead to inaccurate placement (and not aligning well with the default vector roads for example).It depends a bit on the source of your images what kind of projection they have now. But especially if they are GeoTIFF files that is not a big problem, as these are rather easy to reproject and resample can process them fast as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Richard Hill

All my immages are 1"=2400' 2-foot per pixel natural color TIFF digital orthrophotos MRSID files, produced in State plant coordinates NAD 1983 linear units of measure in feet. As to if they are WGS84, I dont know!Richard;

Hi Richard,Given all the information you know already, I think it should not be that hard to turn them into WGS84. Are the images GeoTIFF files already? In that case it will be really easy.I always use the opensource FwTools toolkit to reproject my images. I wrote a little tutorial about that:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?...d_GeoTIFF_files

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JohnC

Hi Arno....I too am stuck because I am unable to find a GDALWARP example using state plane coordinates reprojected to lat/lon WGS84 and haven't fould a listing ...I wonder if anyone knows the syntax for state plane? there are plenty of UTM projection examples around but both Richard and I have state plane coordinate data. Wnen I used gdalinfo it would not spell out my coordinate system but I know what it is.And Richard...there is a command line free downloadable program called mrsiddecode_win at lizardtech.com. This will allow you to take big bites of your mrsid file and turn it into a tiff or geotiff file without stitching a lot of small pieces together. The file will be a tif file still in the wrong projection but hopefully someone will come up with the gdalwarp syntax for state plane projections..Lastly, anyone, how can I determine what zone I am in? GDALWARP parameters ask for a zone.

Hi John:I haven't delved into photoreal scenery making yet, but I find your imagery reprojection challenges interesting if not a motivation to stay in the data scenery making realm as long as possible! :-roll Although I do think it is possible that GlobalMapper could be the best possible quick solution to some of your reprojection challenges as Holger had previously indicated, I believe a handy reference for you with your project (if you haven't discovered this yet) would be the fabulous USAPhotoMaps 2.76 from Doug Cox.Specifically, in USAPhotoMaps, if you go to View > Lat/Lon > UTM it will display the "Zone" info I believe you may be inquiring about for your project area.USAPhotoMaps is a free mapping and GPS/waypoint capable reference(essential IMHO for FS scenery making) which can automatically download and display free USA B&W 4.75 meters per pixel DOQ or color aerial imagery at up to 0.25 meters per pixel (mostly urban... but some rural too!) along with the ability to display multiple resolutions of free Topographical maps in conjunction with free elevation and Tiger streets data etc.. It also offers the ability to export BigJPEGs of user-selected imagery with a world file (sort of like a GeoTIFF if I understand correctly); a very excellent tool available at http://jdmcox.com/.Hope this helps!:)GaryGB

Guest JohnC

Gary..thanks to you, I got my Zone number 18. I did have USAPhotomaps. I have actually thought much more about Holger's advice but Globalmappers' price...ouch! I can't get into the business of selling this stuff. As I said and have thought about this more, GDALINFO wont respond to my MRSid file, and when I turn it into a tiff file, GDALINFO doesn't seem to want to spell out anything about the projection type although it does give me extent and other data. So if GDALwarp can't see the projection type.......

Hi John:Glad you got your Zone!:-) Just to tantalize you a little further, GlobalMapper does support the State Plane Projection and even offers 2 flavors of West Virginia (which I believe was your project area): North and South which can further be set to display at the Datum, Planar Units and State Plane Scale Factor of your choice. Or maybe it was Burlington Vermont that you were working on(?); ...can't recall where I saw your initial mention of this particular photoreal project, but it is still in Zone 18, and there is also a Vermont State Plane Projection type available in GlobalMapper. ;)As if that wasn't exciting enough, you could then export your imagery re-projected at WGS84 into Geo-Tiffs for even easier use (as I understand it) by the FS SDK to make photoreal scenery!( EDIT: ) Ah, I found the earlier thread: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...31788&mode=fullSo, it was Vermont!Oh well, maybe the extra info above will also help Richard Hill with his Virginia Project! :-wave Hope this helps even more!:-sun1 GaryGB

Guest Richard Hill

JohnC.I have had and used Mrsidcode_win for some time, however, IfranView is much better. It allows you to load viewing file listings, resize on the spot, and even do batch processing, saving in just about any format you could think of. I only wish we had an updated program like FS Terrain Calc, or something easy to use like it. I guess Jari Kaskelin the developer has gone elsewhere as my email gets kicked back. As for stiching toteather I am talking about taking each 10,000 x 10,000 foot image and merging them into a larger area coverage.I have regerstered versions of SBuilder. and Terrabuilder Pro. Sbuilder for FSX equires a program MS Excell, that is nearly 100 MB and I only have a 56K modem. There is Photo Scenery Maker for FSX but with errors before one even gets started good, and the owner speaking very little English, and documentation lacking in help, I don't know where to turn next. Richard;

Guest Richard Hill

I was told one could do this with FS SDK too, and that the documentation was detailed and easy to use, but I don't get it! A small mention of the Millennium buildings photo but where is the detailed documentation?Richard;

Guest JohnC

Richard, if you have a proper reprojection to lat/lon WGS84 in bitmap or tif format, or a Geotiff format, and you have the NE and SW extents, you can build a BGL just by building an inf text file and drag/dropping it on the NEW resampler included in the FSX SDK. You don't need any front end GUI to do this. I suggest you take one of your MRSID files and bite out a 5000 by 5000 pixel tif file (if you have enough ram) and let the reprojection problem sit for a while...use the unprojected file. Then work through the SDK. Email me directly for help if you want. I will send you a working real world sample inf file if you want. When you see the high res photo in the right place(but needing a little warping to overlay alkes and mtns properly), you will become a believer at the simplicity of the process. Based on what I get from your posts, you are sitting on a gold mine of color photos, and your only real problem is the reprojection problem.We can get there from here. You're an old guy, huh? At 66, I can sympathize when we are doing this stuff.

Guest JohnC

Maybe you have a suggestion as to how to explain to my spouse the Visa chargers to GlobalMapper? I confess I am weakening, though. BTW, Thanks for the help regarding GlobalMappers direct application to my problem.

Guest Richard Hill

JohnC;I posted a reply a couple of days ago but it seems it did not make it. We had no power for 36 hours due to storm damage.Yes I would like a working INF file! I get only the North and West Coordinate of my immages I can get all four corners by reading other SAMB files, but they diddere in both LONG and LAT. I replaceg my motherboard CPU Video and RAM Intel Pentium D 940 3.2 Ghz, 265 MB PCIE video 1 Gig of 667Mhx RAM deed to add one or two more..And yes I am an Ugly Old man.richardlhll@wmconnect.comThanks;Richard