Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Autogen at airports?

Guys,I started this thread in the regular FSX forum but it's probably more appropriate to have it here...."Here's an idea for an autogen addition that if feasible I sure would like to see...Although I'd like to have at least some aircraft A.I., I just can't add any without upsetting the delicate balance I've achieved on my system between frame rate and the graphics I want to see, so I just have to set my AI traffic to 0%. I would be satisfied just to see static aircraft populate the airports at some of the gates and on the tarmac to at least give the illusion "something is going on". I've added some static a/c at my home airports as a scenery add on file, but doing that at all of the airports I might want to fly into just isn't feasible. I don't know how some of you might feel about it because having moving AI populate the flightsim world is a great addition to FS, but for those with let's say challenged systems right now having the ability to 'choose' between regular airline and ga AI aircraft *or* turning on autogen aircraft to populate airports would be a nice alternative. "I have not had time to read the SDK on autogen yet but I'm wondering if this would be possible now with tools provided in the SDK. As I've stated above I have created very easily a small bgl file with static a/c using the Object Placement Tool using static a/c available for my home airports, but doing this for all airports I might want to fly into would be quite time consuming. Having "autogen" a/c available at airports would seem to me to be a nice alternative to AI aircraft traffic. I wonder if adding static a/c already provided in the SDK that have GUID numbers to the autogen description files might not be too difficult to do, but is it even possible to add autogen objects to the sim, or does autogen placement absolutely have to be hard coded into the engine?I hope I'm making sense here, this idea of having autogen a/c at airports has been floating around inside my head for quite a while. Any thoughts you guys might have on this I'd love to hear them.Thanks

Ken

Sounds like a great idea to me, Ken! Normally, nobody cares about the hardware-challenged folks like us, who just cannot run all of the features of FS. This would be a nice alternative.In fact, you are absolutely correct. You can use the Autogen Configuration Editor to add objects of any kind at all to the autogen definitions. And then those objects will appear in the region where you added them!Unfortunately, autogen only appears on ground textures, not on airports. That is because all airports have an autogen exclusion area, specifically so that autogen buildings and trees do not pop up on the runways and aprons. Too bad.And the static aircraft would display everywhere, not just in the vicinity of the airport.So, the only solution that comes to mind is what you already know, adding the static aircraft to each airport with the Object Placement Tool.Oh well.Best regards.Luis

Thanks for the info Luis on autogen placement, I had not thought about autogen objects being excluded from airports in that manner. So, it's nice to hear that my autogen idea has merit, but in order for it to happen ACES would have to write code specifically for airport autogen objects for them to be in the sim. I hope Phil sees this note and will consider at least discussing it with the team for the next version of FS. I've had this idea for quite some time and I think it would be a nice alternative for those unable to have much if any AI air traffic; then the user could choose which one to use based on their system.On this same topic, although I don't d/l them, I see where AFCAD files are constantly showing up for various airports. What is specifically going on with that kind of file, and could my idea for adding static a/c be automated somehow to work with those files?Just wondering and brainstorming.Thanks again.

Ken

Brilliant, Ken! I think that you have found the solution.The new APX (airport) files in FS X can, and often do, have objects as part of the code. So, it would be possible to somehow add static airplanes to parking spots, for example.Great idea. It did not even occur to me.Best regards.Luis

Well, thanks Luis. I hope this can lead to something, but as I know nothing about these files I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. I hope that if you get a chance you can look into this further.Thanks

Ken

Consider a simple utility that would read the default APX files, determine the parking spots, and then create an object placement file for those parking spots (or any percentage of them) with static aircraft.It should be possible to do this.Excellent idea, Ken.Best regards.Luis