Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

MDL format Object Conversion to BGL - is this possible?

Folks I was wondering if it were possible to convert an object such as a plane, car or boat that is in MDL format into a placable object. IE convert it to xml and compile into a library object so that it would be placable by EZ Scenery?And if so, how do you do it, what tools are needed.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

No, you don't convert an MDL to XML to make a placeable object.You need to know the objects GUID. The GUID is assigned before exporting the object from the Graphics program, i.e., GMAX, 3ds MAX. If you know the assigned GUID, then you write a small XML file and compile the file with the appropiate BGLCOMP. See the FS2004 or FSX SDK for more information.W. Sieffert

What kind of MDL objects are you talking about and which FS version?For Fs2004 there is a difference between scenery and aircraft, so you can not place a aircraft MDL as a static scenery object.For FsX the format is the same, so if you put the MDL into a library and know the GUID, you should be able to place it.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks what I found out, that there is a diffence between scenery objects and aircraft objects. I was trying to see if I could turn aircraft, boats or ships (that are aircraft) and cars (that are aircraft) into scenery objects. I know about the GUID # and how that works.So, the simple answer is I can't convert an aircraft beit an airplane, car or boat into a scenery object....rats.

Near CAM3

If you are working with Fs2004 that is indeed the case, for FsX it should be possible.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Yes FS2004.

Near CAM3