Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 about ready to bite the dust :-( (Long)

This is a great site for info on VIA chipsets:http://www.viahardware.com/Especially if you have the KT133 chipset.I had immense difficulties with XP myself on my AMD/VIA system - lots of random crashes etc, but a clean install then installing the latest 4-in-1 drivers and USB drivers before doing anything else seems to have fixed the problems. Well, IL2 has locked up once, and my CH USB pedals keep 'disappearing' when I'm flying in FS2002, but I think that's another story...

Guest SD Sim

Hi Steve,If you mean by "disappearing" that they stop working, then try this solution:This is an easily resolved problem. Your default settings in XP allow the computer to put the USB hubs "to sleep" if they are not used. To resolve this, do the following:1. Open up the control panel from the start menu.2. Open "System" properties (found under performance and maintanance if you are using category view).3. Select the hardware tab.4. Open device manager.5. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers6. Right click on any USB Root Hub and select the power management tab.7. Deselect the option "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".This should solve your problem.P.S. I posted this recently in the hardware forum, but can't seem to get hold of the complete http address right now, so sorry for the repost

I can really relate to this problem.I have the same problem with FLY2.The problem seems to be linked with AMD and the KT266 chipset.The only thing I could recommend is maybe backup what you need and reformat .Yes it's a pain but atleast if you reformat and still have the same problem you can better problem solve on fresh register.Before going that far though I would get the lastest 4n1 drivers from www.viahardware.com and see how that works.I know how annoying it is.Also seeing I have the same setup or close .I would not recommend running everything at max.Bring down terrain mesh to 80,Clouds to 50 , max vis to 70 and bring the resolution down to 1152x864@32.This way there is not so much stress on the CPU.Everything else can be maxed.I have no problems running FS2k2 at this level but if i max out everything it's nice eye candy but it runs only at 8 FPS at best which is not fun for me.I have seen the loop problem mostly start when there is too much stress on the CPU and the swap file starts to swap badly ,aka hard drive sounds like a chainsaw :).I hope this helps Richard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Guest Fortress

>You can't use the WinXP/Nvidia display driver/via chipset combinationCrap! I've no problems with my XP/G2-Titanium/Abit KT7A-RAID VIA combination. In fact, the advice to dump XP in favour of Win98 wouldn't do me any favours either. FS2K2 works faster, smoother, and (so far) without any error under my XP system. Now Win98 was a different story :-(Edit: I should also add that I'm using an AMD T-Bird processor.Cheers,Paul

Went into BIOS and selected failsafe default. I have been able to fly from areas that I used to get lockups after a few minutes. Sliders are all, or almost all, maxed out and getting framrates of 18-25. Locked on 25. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. If I run into difficulties in the future, I'll give a heads up in this forum.Jim Golden, GySgt, USMC (Ret.)