Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Where to find animated wind power plant

Guest UlfB

Hi,I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Where can I find an animated wind power plant? I would like to place some power plants in FSX with Instant Scenery. I searched the forums and scanned the FSX scenery design library, but came up with nothing.Ulf B

Hi Ulf:Check this out:http://lc0277.nerim.net/sceneobjects/ (no wind generator found in FSX libraries, but a great reference site!)http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/254686 (purchase and create with SDK)http://www.vfraddons.co.uk/vfrtable_view.php (possibly accessible via Instant Scenery's Library Maker or other 3rd party FS library object utility)Hope this helps!:-) GaryGB

Guest UlfB

GaryGB,Thanks a lot! I'll have a look at these sites.Ulf B :-)

Hello Ulf,Is this the object you want?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176641.jpgThis wind generator has been in the game since the previous version - in FS X, the GUID should be: {f21db452-6d9d-424d-b608-a9c34c194cc1} and it is in the Hazards library with the name: gen_windmill01Haven't tried placing it myself.Best regards.Luis

Guest UlfB

Luis,I tried to use that windmill with Instant Scenery. But it isn't animated or maybe it's Instant Scenery that can't handle animated objects. I've got to try some other tool and I would be happy if you could give me some advice on what to use.Ulf B

With a lot of objects when placed with IS or another placement tool, it won't show any animation until the sim is restarted. Just in case it was static when placed...

Guest UlfB

Hi MeshMan, No movemvent at all, even after reloading the sim. Even tried to change the wind direction and force, but nothing helps. I'll look into it some more after work today. I'd better scan Flight1 support forum as well.Have a nice day to all of you :-)Ulf B

Hello Ulf,It does not rotate for me either:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176680.jpgalthough it did in the previous version of the game. I used the Object Placement Tool, by the way.I seem to remember that many animations in FS X now are routed through the shader pipeline. Since my graphics card cannot handle this, shaders are turned off by default on my configuration of FS X. So, perhaps the graphics card is the culprit if the windmill does not rotate.Best regards.Luis

Guest UlfB

Luis,I'm using a BFG nVIDIA 8800GTX, so I guess my shaders are turned on by default. How can I verify this in FSX?Ulf B

I would not worry if I were you, Ulf. Your graphics card can definitely handle all the shaders.If you are curious, the display.cfg contains the list of all the graphics cards that are turned off in FS X.However, I tried again to see the windmills in FS X, but this time, I removed the FS X hazards library, and placed the FS 9 generic library in there:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176691.gifSo, the FS 9 library displays rotating windmills in FS X. It would seem that the objects were ported over and lost the animation. On the other hand, they do not have the beacons like the FS X version.I am off to file a bug report.Best regards.Luis

Excellent find, Luis! :) That brings up some related questions on scenery libraries which I have not tested yet: exactly how to put placeable objects from FS9 default format scenery object libraries into FSX (and vice versa for those of us who own and use both versions of FS).This would of course be geared towards the person using a standard XML based object placer such as EZ-Scenery or Instant Scenery (which directly writes and edits the BGL with or without an "internal" XML intermediate as it works).Can we simply copy our existing (purchased and installed!) FS9 default format scenery object libraries containing placeable objects (not API macro types, and which aren't already included in the larger selection of FSX objects) over into a specified FSX folder?How does one determine the filenames of FS default format scenery object libraries containing placeable objects in FS9 and FSX? To port such objects into either FS9 or FSX, do we always have to copy and "re-package" those objects into another BGL object library using one of the FS library object utilities?Or can a multiple objects "lookup library" of appropriate GUIDs be used in EZ-Scenery and/or Instant Scenery (without containing the actual objects) which is used to create our "placement instructions only" BGLs?And is the process the same for FSX objects ported into FS9?Are the FSX object BGLs incompatible as far as directly copying a file over into the FS9 folder system?If so, can the FSX objects still be ported somehow into a compatible stand alone FS object library BGL for use in FS9?When doing so, is there a difference in the library BGL format which one must choose when creating a "ported objects" BGL intended for use in either FSX or FS9?.Sorry for all these questions which I perceive to be generally related (and necessary to helping Ulf and the rest of us get our own wind generator placed in our own FSX scenery), but I have not seen a detailed explanation on this anywhere yet by ACES or one of the highly-informed FS community members like yourself. :-halo Any clarification you would be willing to share on this is very greatly appreciated.Thank You again, Luis! ;-) GaryGB

Hi Gary,Fs2004 objects can be used in FsX simply by installing their library BGL files in FsX (including the needed textures of course). But I would be very careful in doing this, as you might risk to introduce conflicts if some objects are already contained in FsX with the same GUID (for example if part of the library has been ported).Creating new library BGL files with the Fs2004 default objects (after you decompiled them for example) is not a good idea, so I would not advice doing that.The other way around it will not work. The FsX MDL format is different, so these objects simply do not work in Fs2004.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno:Thanks for taking the time to offer that explanation on the subject. :-) I suppose what the FS end-user community might have to do evaluate their options for personal use of FS placeable scenery library objects on their own computers interchangeably between purchased and installed copies of both FS versions (since the documentation by ACES on this subjects is so limited), is to perform a comparison of GUIDs used by FS9 and FSX scenery objects to identify any potential conflicts that exist, in which FS files, and involving which FS objects.After identifying which FS9 and FSX placeable scenery library object GIUDs may have conflicts, we might also wish to know what FS9 objects have NOT been duplicated in the FSX object libraries, as I suspect that most if not all have been ported over (with or without being rebuilt or re-compiled... and apparently with varying degrees of success and testing as discovered in the case of the wind power generator above!).It would be valuable to keep in mind prior discussions here (and at other scenery-related FS forums) the importance of avoiding duplicate instances of essentially identical FS placeable scenery library objects being called by end-user placement (positioning info) BGLs from different scenery object library BGLs in a given FS flight session, due to the extra memory and computation hit to the FS rendering process; the goal of "LOAD TO MEMORY ONCE... READ/WRITE AS CALLED/PLACED FROM THERE" concept would seem to be even more important with FSX than it was with FS9.Although some have dismissed this previously as an insignificant consideration in FS9, I believe FSX now compels us to keep our scenery design processes as efficient as possible for better performance, and to strictly avoid spreading chaos-inducing creations out into the FS user community.So IMHO we do NOT want to see a plethora of re-packaged FS placeable scenery library objects being distributed outside people's own computers and spreading out into the FS community (whether or not they have actually been carefully checked for GUID conflicts or duplication of content/instances in BGLs in between FS9 and FSX installations).However, it would appear that inquisitive and meticulously CAREFUL FS end-users using a 3rd party scenery library object management utility to re-package into appropriate FS scenery library format BGLs for use only on their own computers and not to be re-distributed to others in the FS community, any FS9 scenery objects (from a copy of FS they purchased and installed!) which were NOT duplicated in FSX (and which do NOT have the potential for GUID conflicts with anything in FSX), might be able to use those FS9 objects in FSX using a compatible FS scenery library object placer utility. ;-)And please, someone feel free to correct me on all this if I am mistaken! :-roll GaryGB