Sign in to follow this  
nudata

I Meter/Pixel FS9 Texture Tiles???

Gottfried Razek has created several examples of 1.1m/pixel photo scenery for FS9. It clings to the underlying mesh. My question is, since FS9 can display 1.1m stuff could it be made to display 1.1m landclass texture tiles such as used in FSX??? Just putting these tiles into FS9 does not automatically yield any more that 4.7m/pixel resolution.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick,The Fs2004 terrain system does not support textures with a resolution of over 4.8 meter per pixel. So any scenery that has a higher resolution must not be using the techniques as described in the terrain SDK.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I believe that the trick is to use VTP2 polygons that drape properly on the mesh. SBuilder had an approach but it was not reliable. Gottfried has perfected it and has absolutely perfect 1.1 meter/pixel laying on top of mesh. I have done the some of the same areas he has in FSX (1.1m/p)and his results in FS9 are identical. I was hoping that someone familiar with his technique, or Gottfried himself, might have an idea relative to landclass textures.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Hi Dick,But that approach does not use VTP polygons or the terrain engine. So it will not work for landclass. What is done there is placing a SCASM/GMax style ground polygon with exactly the same elevation as the mesh below. But the polygons are not really following the mesh automatically.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Yes I think that you need your own mesh data and that is used to place the polygon which is chopped up into a bunch of small triangles. Oh well, I have reverted to FS9 to try some ATC & IFR since that kills FSX on my system. Tomorrow is another Al Gore day - 91F.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,