Sign in to follow this  
DougMatthews

Shapefile polygons

Hi,I'm working on an update for my Puerto Rico project and I have a question for the experts. I'm trying to redo the entire shoreline of the island but the shapefile that I have contains a collection of "outer polygons" that represents the sea...so one can imply that a side of a polygon could be considered a shoreline. If you look at the picture, the gray areas are the outer polygons.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178037.jpgThe question is, is there an util or program that can facilitate the creation of the inner polygon without having to plot it by hand?Thanks to Luis for his excellent tutorial document! I was able to add sandy beaches to PR!Regards,Juan

Hello Juan,I'm assuming we're talking FSX design?FSX doesn't "do" land polygons anymore, only water. Thus, if you exclude the default water polys that currently define PR and then place your current set of water polys you should see the correct shape of the island.What you will have to do is to add water polygons on the outer side so that the entire area of excluded default water (typically following the QMID11 grid) is covered again with water. Should be pretty easy to do though because water polygons can overlap each other so you don't need to accurately trace the current outer edge. You can use SBuilder to generate shoreline vectors that trace your polygons. You then just need to cut away those outer vector sections that cross water.Hope that helps.Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger for your help. MS/Aces did a good job with the general shorelines of PR and I don't think that should bother to redo them but I want to fix a lake near TJSJ that has two polygons/shorelines inside each other creating a conflict...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178074.jpgIf I exclude the shorelines from that lake I get this...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178073.jpgHow can I fix that lake?I thought that I should exclude the lake entirely and create a water poly and then a shoreline.ThanksJuan

Hi,I was able to fix the problems. I noticed that when excluding a hydro polygon, I had to use a completely separated shapefile dedicated for the exclusion only which created a single bgl.Now I have:cvxpur.bgl - for roads, bridges, parks, beaches and their related exclusionscvxpurfw.bgl - for freeway traffic (the exclusion still doesn't work)cvxpurehpx.bgl - to exclude hydro polygonscvxpurehlx.bgl - to exclude shorelinescvxpurhp.bgl - to define new hydro polygons and shorelinesAs for the shorelines, the SDK says that the shapes in a HLX shapefile should be polygons, that confused me because I was drawing the shoreline as a polygon and it was not working. I decided to convert the polygon into a LINE and it worked.I'm running FSX SP1 with FSX SDK SP1.Regards,Juan

>Hi,>I was able to fix the problems. I noticed that when excluding>a hydro polygon, I had to use a completely separated shapefile>dedicated for the exclusion only which created a single bgl.>>Now I have:>cvxpur.bgl - for roads, bridges, parks, beaches and their>related exclusions>cvxpurfw.bgl - for freeway traffic (the exclusion still>doesn't work)>cvxpurehpx.bgl - to exclude hydro polygons>cvxpurehlx.bgl - to exclude shorelines>cvxpurhp.bgl - to define new hydro polygons and shorelines>>As for the shorelines, the SDK says that the shapes in a HLX>shapefile should be polygons, that confused me because I was>drawing the shoreline as a polygon and it was not working. I>decided to convert the polygon into a LINE and it worked.>>I'm running FSX SP1 with FSX SDK SP1.>>Regards,>JuanThe shoreline should indeed be a line (not a polygon). Please file a bug (www.fsinsider.com) identifying the SDK error.Note that if you name your files such that the first three characters of the filename are all that differ: XXXsamename.shp (.shx .dbf .xml) YYYsamename.shp (.shx .dbf .xml) ZZZsamename.shp (.shx .dbf .xml)you can compile (shp2vec) everything into one bgl.And all the excludes can be in one shapefile.-Doug