Sign in to follow this  
=Hollywood=

Photoreal scenery

Guest Jos

Hi,Since a while I see that some scenery designers uses phototexturing in their scenery.I wonder how they do that without using Google... and without paying for it... or ?Like to know what is allowed and what isn't.Greetz. Jos

Hi Jose,Have a look at this thread for example (it is just below your thread in this forum :)):http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=35339&page=

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,Saw early to day also this thread and visited the site. Do not already know how to handle the data... but I hope useful for my scenery... situated in Belgium, Ostend (EBOS).Are the images sharp, realistic colors and so on ? There are not realy examples to see.Greetz. Jos

Guest tml1024

It isn't Google itself that has airplanes that fly around taking aerial photography, you know. Google just licenses their imagery from some large providers, who in turn don't actually fly planes themselves either, but license the imagery from even smaller firms, who might then actually have the planes. Or more layers.Anyway, nothing prevents freeware or commercial scenery designers from approaching small aerial photo firms that have covered the area of interest and inquire about licensing for cheap or free some (crippled resolution) imagery. If the provider can be assured that the imagery won't be usable outside FS, the price might well be very reasonable. Also municipalities might have full rights to aerial imagery of their areas and be willing to license it for cheap or free.For instance the guy that has done freeware photo scenery of Helsinki and surroundings licensed the imagery from a local aerial photography business here, presumably for free.--tml

I've stuck with the USGS public domain photography because the others can't be bothered to reply to requests. I bought a subscription to GlobeXplorer and gathered small images to form a large one, and asked about permission to distribute for FS9. There was no response. I tried another source and again, they didn't respond to emails. At that point, I decided to stop sending them money and stick to areas that USGS covered. I haven't been impressed with the sales people at GlobeXplorer/AirPhotoUSA. They can't be bothered to respond, so I figure they don't want my money.

Guest tml1024

>I haven't been impressed with the sales people at>GlobeXplorer/AirPhotoUSA. They can't be bothered to respond,>so I figure they don't want my money.I really don't know anything about the situation, but have you tried contacting some smaller aerial photography companies? Or is it so that these GlobeXplorer/AirPhotoUSA (which sound like pretty large companies covering all of the US (and more?)) really have squished out any smaller local competitors, or buy exclusive rights for everything that smaller local companies produce?

Guest reignman40

I am new to photoscenery and I have a couple questions. When I drag the text file for the SDK "MillenniumImage" that has this in it (below). How does it know the coordinates to put the image at? The other files have them but not this one.[source]Type = GeoTIFFSourceDir = "SourceData"SourceFile = "MillenniumImage3.Tif"Layer = ImageryVariation = DayNullValue = 255,255,255[Destination]DestDir = "Output"DestBaseFileName = "Millennium_Image"DestFileType = BGLLOD = AutoDoes the picture have the coordinates in it already somehow? Where can I get pictures to use? I tried using one of my own but I don't know how to tell it where to put the scenery.

GeoTiffs already have the projection and lat/lon information encoded in them...There's a free program around that can extract the header information called libgeotif or libgeotiff...There's other programs around that can work with GeoTiffs as well...seamless.usgs.gov is a good place for free imagery, public domain so no worries about copyright or licensing etc, just have to follow the USGS guidelines on credit...e.g.Source of National Elevation Dataset: U.S. Geological Surveyor...U.S. Geological Survey National Elevation Dataset used in compiling this product.the above example is for elevation data...I believe that seamless can allow you to download GeoTiffs as well but I think they're all UTM NAD83 projected and need to be reprojected to Geo WGS84...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR