Sign in to follow this  
NZCOASTER

Best Photoscenery bgl size or Area ?

Hi Guys I am currently compiling about 3000 sq km of very high rez aerial photosand have cut it up into tiles of about 4 sq kmOne uncompressed geotif is about 145mb and compiles to bgl aprox 6o mbmy inf settings are[source]Type = GeoTIFFSourceDir = "SourceData"SourceFile = "104.TIF"Layer = ImageryVariation = DayNullValue = 255,255,255[Destination]DestDir = "Output"DestBaseFileName = "104"DestFileType = BGLLOD = AutoSince I have done a test run compiling it all I get 242 bgls covering the 3000 sq km and a resulting 12 gigs of bglsI don't mind how many bgls are made but I do want to know if there is a certain size in area that will load optimally ie should I go for tiles that are made up of 30 or 40 sq km and compile that instead of my many 4 sq km tilesMy thoughts are that maybe one big bgl loaded that covers a large area will cause less stuttering on disk access than the same area made up of many smaller bgls requiring more disk reads.Your thoughts are very welcomeI really want an optimal compiling method for this big scenery areaThanksGreg

Hello Greg,I don't know the answer regarding file size vs. stuttering or overhead but here's a tip: use CompressionQuality = 75 in the Destination section of your inf and that should reduce file sizes considerably without visible loss of quality. If in doubt you can compile a section at 100 and 75, respectively, and switch back and forth in the sim for a direct comparison (visually or with screenshots).Cheers, Holger

Yes Thanks for thatI'll do a small test areaif there is no image quality reduction I think it would be wise to switch to comppresionThanksGreg

Instead of tiling your source data you can try the SplitFileLOD to create output tiles.scott s..

Thanks ScottI'm sorry here is where I mentally run into the wall ,I look at the sdk doc and just hassle over parametersMy best guess is SplitFileLOD =17 ????am I rightIf you can put up with my questionsThanksGregRe editedI had a look at tmfwiever and now conclude that SplitFileLOD =11 would be a good size to split it toThoughtsam I on the right trackThanksGreg

I would be interested on the use of SplitFile. That is what result did you get and was it effective in any regard?Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

SplitFileLOD=13 results in the same thing as in FS9: 1.2km tiles. Other than seeing that it worked as expected, I couldn't tell any difference but I didn't really test over the kind of extent that is being done here.I was using compression 90 and LOD 13,15 with 1.2m resolution photo. One test was with a 164Mb tiff source image. Resampled to a single bgl came out at 112Mb. Split I had 35 LOD13 tiles that varied from 76Kb to 2Mb, but they averaged about 1.2Mb each.scott s..

I Tried the Split file level of detailand while I like it for certain things like smaller files I need control over end file name Row and Number which helps me identify which bgl does what in the simI am slicing up My Geotiffs with global mapper so It gives me a logic order of files I can follow the progress then from cut to bgl and see if there are any problems, Once I have established that there are no issues then a final compile with spltfilelod could be the way for deliveryThank you for all the help and hopefuly soon I will have a very good area of photo sceneryThanks guysGreg