Sign in to follow this  
Jim Robinson

texture OK in one FS9 setup; not rendering in another

Hello All,another one which is driving me crazy:I made a small scenery using some RWY12 gmax objects, among which a trailer ("13m Trailer TNT").On my old machine, all is well, everything including the trailer looks as it should.On my newer machine, the tyre textures for the trailer are not rendered. And ONLY those -- the main texture of the trailer (and of all other elements used in that scenery) are fine.Both machines have exactly the same BGL file and texture files, I have checked multiple times that the correct texture file (tyre.bmp, DXT1 512x512 16bit) is present on both; I even deleted all other scenery elements again to exclude any possible "cross-effects".What can be the reason that -- in an identical scenery installation -- one specific texture does not render on one machine, but is OK on another? Display settings are the same on both machines too. The graphics cards are different, though (ATI on old box, NVidia on new), but I can't see how this might be the reason to fail on one single texture.Thanks for any tips!Cheers,Martin

Is that an orange & white trailer that says "TNT" on the side of it? GUID 621602d5cb690567aeebe4235533c69f? I just tried it in my sim and the wheels showed up fine, but my texture is actually named "tyres.bmp" as opposed to "tyre.bmp". Maybe that was just a typo in your post, but is there a chance the .bmp got inadvertantly misnamed somehow on the newer machine? I'm running an Nvidia card here myself, so I doubt it's an Nvidia issue.Jim

Yes, a typo indeed, sorry. I had checked just this "tyre vs. tyres" issue multiple times with the actual file names in the sim, and then still got it wrong in the message. Stoopid.Thanks, Jim, for spotting it, it's just the kind of thing that can bring one down if one doesn't get support from a different pair of eyes...I can also report some slight progress. I noticed that this TNT trailer model and texture (yes, it's the one you refer to) are used by several other sceneries I have installed on the new box, but not on the old. So on a hunch I disabled all add-on sceneries except my own, and bingo: textured wheels! How can a scenery suppress texture rendering of another scenery?Now remains just the puny task of re-activating about three dozen sceneries one by one (with an FS9 restart after each!) to find the culprit :-) I had another strange effect: Leaving no stone unturned, I took away the main texture file for that trailer, but to my surprise it was happily rendered anyway. Can a scenery use (on its own accord) textures from texture folders other than its own??(I checked: It was not available in any of the "general" texture folders which are always active, such as ...FS2004texture, ...FS2004Addon Scenerytexture, etc.)I think there is also some sort of texture cache from which it can perhaps come, but in this case I hadn't been near any of the other sceneries where that trailer texture was also used.May be both textures and model are not really coming from my test scenery at all, but from some other scenery (I had something like that happen once, when I got my test folders mixed up.)Curiouser and curiouser. But we're getting there.Thanks again for the support!Cheers,Martin

I think if you're doing things in true RWY12 fashion (using the static objects library folder) there should be only one copy each of "fs9_13mtrailer_tnt.bmp" and "tyres.bmp" on your system and it should be located in "Addon SceneryStatic Objects Librarytexture". If any other copies exist in other scenery folders (and it must if you took away the textures and it still displayed them) that probably indicates that the object library .bgl containing the trailer ("Objects01_lib.bgl" on my system) also exists in at least 2 active scenery folders. In that case you would have 2 instances of GUID "621602d5cb690567aeebe4235533c69f" on your system and that's a no-no from everything I've read."Can a scenery use (on its own accord) textures from texture folders other than its own??"It could use textures from the main Flight Simulator 9/texture folder, but I don't think the sim will go "up the chain" and look for a texture in another add-on scenery's texture folder."May be both textures and model are not really coming from my test scenery at all, but from some other scenery"Yep, I think you nailed it right there. The fact that the trailer's texture displayed even after you removed the texture from Static Objects Librarytexture(?) probably indicates that the sim is calling up GUID "621602d5cb690567aeebe4235533c69f" from another scenery folder other than Static Objects Libraryscenery, possibly due to the alphabetical order of your scenery folders or maybe as a result of your scenery priority arrangement. I'd also venture a guess that the corresponding texture folder is lacking a copy of "tyres.bmp" and that's the reason you're wheel textures weren't showing up in the first place.I would do a search from the Flight Simulator 9 root folder for "Objects01_lib.bgl" and see if there is more than one copy. If there is, delete all but the one in Static Objects Libraryscenery and I'll bet that'll fix your problem. Extra copies of the textures shouldn't cause a problem other than a little wasted disk space, but if you want a list of textures associated with that object library so you can delete them too, I think I have it somewhere here on a disk, let me know and I'll dig it up.Good luck,Jim

Problem solved! :-)A duplicate object/GUID issue, as suspected. :-scatterDuring this adventure, I have finally taken ObjectManager into use (the .NET 2.0 requirement so far had stopped me), so I can now do a proper inventory of what is where and using which textures.Thanks again for your help, Jim!And as a big bonus, I had a look at your web site (very nice design, BTW!) found ch_pnl.zip and then learnt about ch_plus.zip. I have so far used some very old similar tool, but it was rather simplistic; this combo is much nicer and more useful. Thanks for making it available! :-beerchugCheers,Martin

Glad to hear it Martin :) . Also thanks for the nice comments on the website. I really need to stop playing with FS and get some new stuff online one of theese days though. Glad you discovered the chplus tool and gauge add on. It sure has helped me with placing things exactly where I want them on the first try.Jim