Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Default flatens

Guest dantoine

Hello, I am planning to redesign some islands in FS9. I am using Ground2K4 and my project is mainly based on coastline, landclass and waterclass updates. I have a global SRTM mesh installed but the default FS flattens set the altitude to zero in some ground areas. Because I don't want to redefine the overridden part of the mesh (does not seem easy), I removed the default FS flatten files for this area. The result is fine except that the sea level is not always at altitude zero. I think I need to create several polygons to flatten the ocean around the island following the coastline. I have read several posts on the subject but I wanted to know if my method is correct and if there are better solutions ?Another solution, mentionned here, is to create a big polygon then create a hole in the middle to let the ground appears, can we do this with Ground2K4 ?Thanks, David

Hello David,I assume you mean that your new coastline is flattened and does not display the altitude mesh correctly.A big problem in FS 9 was that water, and its associated altitude of 0 meters, could not be excluded. It could only be covered, by land for instance, but the underlying altitude would remain at sea level.There is no remedy for this, unless it is to move on to FS X where the water and its altitude can be removed completely.However, there is a work-around that involves modifying the default HP files.SBuilder by Luis S

Guest dantoine

Hello Luis,Thanks you very much for your quick reply.As you can see I am a beginner in scenery design. I started my project with Ground2K4 because I was only interested in landclass and waterclass but may be I should have a look at SBuilder as you suggested.Well, I have already removed (renamed) the default HP file for my area, so the altitude mesh is correct for ground but sea is not anymore at an altitude of 0 meters but varies of a few meters (not flat).David

Appending the default HP9 file in sbuilder can be good to avoid removing water from areas outside of your project area. If you have accurate coastline data you should be able to replace the default, again in sbuilder.scott s..