Sign in to follow this  
FS Robert

Final on RWY

Whats the deal?? On my approach sometimes, i'm informed that i will be landing on 21 right(or whatever rwy). All the way until I contact the tower they change the rwy to 3 left(or whatever rwy). At this point i'm 6 miles out!!!!! Whats going on??? What do I need to do and does this happen to naybody else?? please help...Thanks

Hi Kadam.Yeah, it has happen to me lots of times on approach to KLAX rwy 25R. ATC tells me ok to land, I say ok. and the next thing I know, I am told to land at RWY 07L...drove me crazy!. What to do is this: when you are told to land look what the message says. wait a few seconds before you answer. I think you will notice that the meassage says something about staying in the traffic pattarn, if you wait a few seconds you will see " clearred to land " message. give it a try !I think it is one of those ATC problems that will be corrected in FS2004. All in all, the FS2002 ATC is very nice IMHO.good luckThis Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

Guys;That usually happens when you have the local winds for that airport set opposite from the global winds. If you want to land on a certain runway at your dest. airport and you change the wind direction to force ATC to let you land on that runway, you should also make the global winds the same direction. ATC will direct you by the global winds, but when you are about 6 miles out the tower will turn you for the local winds. Also make sure you have all this done before ATC advises you of which runway you will be cleared for. Once they advise you there's nothing you can do to change it until the tower tells you of the change for the local winds. The winds should be set to moderate or higher(15 mph). If you are using real weather then there should be no problem. RichardS

Hi Richard,Sounds great, but I for one fly using Wx and FS_Meteo. Seems to me that ( playing god so to speak...changing the weather )and going into the tabs to change the winds is a bit of over-kill when it come to " as real as it gets " . I guess it really would be cool if a pilot could change the wind direction to land at any given runway. This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

Robert;What I was trying to say is IF you change the local winds you should also change the global winds. As a person who doesn't use REAL WEATHER I do change the winds so that I can land on the runway of my choice. FS is very set in it's ways and always has me landing on the same runways. That gets boring. If and when I go to real weather, then I will land on whatever runway is correct for the conditions. Until then I will change the winds to my choice of runways. As far as "real as it gets" goes, until MicroSoft adds dynamic changing winds and weather we have not reached it yet.RichardS

Hi Richard,I do understand what you mean!Maybe Microsoft should change it

Vl3MQY.png

Happened to me y'day at manchester. I was using fs2002 real weather with windis aloft. App cleared me to 24R and then 5 miles out when i call the tower..that drunkard tells me to fly left hand pattern for 6L!! I was fully set-up for landing! Had to do a circle to land procedure for 6L!!Santanu>Whats the deal?? On my approach sometimes, i'm informed that >i will be landing on 21 right(or whatever rwy). All the way >until I contact the tower they change the rwy to 3 left(or >whatever rwy). At this point i'm 6 miles out!!!!! Whats >going on??? What do I need to do and does this happen to >naybody else?? please help...Thanks

Guest KenG

This used to happen quite frequently using FSMeteo. The destination airport was using my current winds (winds aloft and many miles out), not the winds as reported at THAT airport. The way I fixed it was to go into FSMeteo and set the destination airport. That way, they would have the correct winds and I didn't have that sudden change of RW's.

Hi Ken, and thanks so much. You answer seems to make sense to me. I will do that in FS_Meteo...easy to do as well. Thias really is a great forum and people like yourself make great! You are worth a point at least!This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png