Sign in to follow this  
Guest N73GX

What do I use?

Guest N73GX

Im at my wits end with this, but Im not ready to give up just yet.What I am trying to do is edit an airport near me and would like to correct a lot of stuff as I do a lot of my flying around this airport.The airport is KDKXWhat I would like to do is change/fix the taxiways, building placement and building replacements for FS9. (Some buildings are wrong)The aprons are a bit off as well.Googlemaps linkhttp://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.963,-83....&z=16&t=h&hl=enI have read a lot of sites, tutorials, and downloaded a slew of filesMy list is this1. Change textures, size, placement of taxiways.2. Change size of runway3. Move, resize, replace buildings4. Fix aprons and their textures5. Maybe add some static aircraftI need to know exactly what programs I need and what I need to do to make those files created by those programs talk to each other.Please help a fellow simmer thanksThank youJason G.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/940901/4398.png

.Start with AFCAD 2.21If you can't come to grips with this great free programthen I would advise you to go no further.

I recommend SceneGenX build 61. There ar a couple of advantages to SGX:1. You can place an aerial photo or google earth screenie as a background to reference. 2. You can load all the default objects (including the taxisigns) and exclude any misplaced ones and then move them to the correct position.3. SGX creates the XML source code that the bglcomp tool in the SDK can compile. You can hand text-edit this source code if desired.That being said, to fine-tune the airport layout (aprons/ taxiways/ runways) you can load your SGX airport into AFCAD2 to do that. When I do that I like to remove the layout items from my SGX version of the airport, so that they are only in the AFCAD finish version. Thus, I have two files when finished.Both SGX and AFCAD use the FS9 commands for creating the visual bits of the layout. Thus, you can select surface type, but the actual texture bitmap is determined by the system. There are replacement textures available, but these have global scope.If you move things around too much, you can encounter terrain issues. For that you need a terrain program such as sbuilder 2.05R6.For more complex work, such as creating custom buildings or custom airport elements, you will need to get into 3d object modeling using tools such as the GMax program included with FS9.scott s..

Guest N73GX

ok, I just tried something and was wondering if Im on the right track here. What I did was open what I did from SGX in AFCAD2 then saved it, moved my BGL from what SGX saved to another folder. What I got was the old objects (default Scenery Objects) and the lay out of Taxi and aprons from AFCAD. What I will do next is hide taxi and aprons from SGX and be able to play with both and use both BGL in the scenery when done.Correct?Thank youJason G.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/940901/4398.png